Heather Hughson
A
thread 1/7
If you know me from the Other Place, you know I tweet a lot about con artists and grifters, especially #ElizabethHolmes , who got lucky by being caught for defrauding investors before she could kill patients.
Well, good news!
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/17/tech/elizabeth-holmes-bid-denied/index.html
01:00 PM - May 18, 2023
Heather Hughson
A
thread 2/7
Every responsible piece of reporting about #ElizabethHolmes and #theranos should include one key detail: her "invention" was the biotech equivalent of a perpetual motion machine. It never had the potential to function as she claimed. Everything we know about fluid dynamics would have to be wrong.
01:02 PM - May 18, 2023
Heather Hughson
A
thread 3/7
#ElizabethHolmes wanted to be an inventor in the vein of Steve Jobs; she modelled herself after him both physically and professionally. But in biotech, "fake it 'til you make it" meant giving out fake blood test results, which inevitably result in bad medical decisions that kill people.
01:04 PM - May 18, 2023
Heather Hughson
A
thread 4/7
One victim of Elizabeth Holmes got blood test results telling her she was miscarrying a deeply wanted pregnancy. It was only because that woman chose to see if her body would expel the "miscarriage" naturally that she now has a perfectly healthy baby.
01:05 PM - May 18, 2023
Heather Hughson
A
thread 5/7
Elizabeth Holmes deliberately targetted underinsured communities in Arizona for the rollout of her #theranos machine because those communities would have the least ability to seek redress against her when her irresponsible undeclared beta test inevitably yielded dangerous, deadly results.
01:07 PM - May 18, 2023
Heather Hughson
A
thread 6/7
And to make things worse, Elizabeth Holmes has openly declared her intention to keep doing exactly what she is going to jail for. She "has ideas" about how she can "help" with covid based on her grand total professional experience of a single summer internship in Singapore as a teenager.
01:08 PM - May 18, 2023
Heather Hughson
A
thread 7/7
She is going to jail for defrauding clients, but only because she was caught before she could kill people, which is where her fraud was inevitably headed. And she has shown neither remorse nor awareness of just how deadly her inventor fantasy was going to become.
01:10 PM - May 18, 2023
NurseNinaPA
A
When I talk about Elizabeth Holmes my voice goes down 3 octaves. 👀
In response to Heather Hughson.
12:48 PM - May 31, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}