Brian Matthew Kim
A
thread 1/14
I was a substitute teacher for about a year after I graduated college. And one day – my favorite day of subbing – I was known as the sub who could do magic. Now, let me clarify one thing: I don’t know how to do magic. #ThreadChallenge
05:31 PM - May 31, 2023
Brian Matthew Kim
A
thread 2/14
It was the day before Thanksgiving break, and I was subbing for a high school Spanish teacher. Most of the students were already checked out. Thankfully all they had to do was complete a few worksheets. After that, I was cool with us hanging out and counting down the clock.
05:32 PM - May 31, 2023
Brian Matthew Kim
A
thread 3/14
First period, I went up in front of the class to introduce myself. My hands were in my pockets when I felt the blue ballpoint pen I always keep on me. I pulled it out and asked the class if they wanted to see a magic trick. The students looked skeptical. I told them I could make the pen disappear.
Brian Matthew Kim
A
thread 4/14
“One… two… three!” And on “three” I exaggeratedly threw the pen over my shoulder, then made a “ta da” gesture. My audience’s reaction? Blank stares. I told them to finish their worksheets and then we could chill. They got to work, and the period ended peacefully.
Brian Matthew Kim
A
thread 5/14
My next period was a break. When third period started, I went up in front of the class to introduce myself. Before I could finish my spiel, one of the students said, “I hear you do magic.” #ThreadChallenge
05:33 PM - May 31, 2023
Brian Matthew Kim
A
thread 6/14
I smiled and asked if they wanted to see a trick. They enthusiastically said yes, so I did the same cheesy routine. Afterward, a few students laughed, but most of them just looked disappointed. They thought I could do REAL magic. I told them to get to work.
Brian Matthew Kim
A
thread 7/14
Most of the students did, but there was one kid – let’s call him Ted – who was conspicuously doing Geometry homework. I told Ted to finish his Spanish worksheets first, then he could do all the Geometry he wanted. He said okay, but when I got back to my desk, he started working on Geometry again.
Brian Matthew Kim
A
thread 8/14
A few minutes later it was time for lunch. I stayed in the empty classroom, and that’s when I noticed Ted left his Geometry book behind. So I hid it in one of my desk drawers – that way he’d have no choice but to finish his Spanish worksheets first.
05:34 PM - May 31, 2023
Brian Matthew Kim
A
thread 9/14
When the students came back from lunch, Ted brought along a friend who wasn’t in the class. I went up to Ted’s friend, looked him in the eye, and said, “You better get out of here. I know magic, and I can make you disappear.” #ThreadChallenge
Brian Matthew Kim
A
thread 10/14
Ted and his friend snickered, then muttered “whatever.” I said, “Look, I’ll prove it to you. I can make Ted’s Geometry book disappear. One… two… three!” And on “three” I slammed my palm down on Ted’s desk, right where his book used to be.
Brian Matthew Kim
A
thread 11/14
Ted looked down, shocked, and said, “What the hell???” Ted’s friend, thoroughly weirded out, walked out of the classroom without saying a word. I told Ted that I would make his Geometry book reappear once he finished his worksheets. Sure enough, Ted got to work.
Brian Matthew Kim
A
thread 12/14
I love this story because it perfectly illustrates my pedagogy: Teaching is all about improvisation. Sure, I always come to class prepared and with a lesson plan, but any good teacher knows how to adapt their lesson to accommodate that specific class.
05:35 PM - May 31, 2023
Brian Matthew Kim
A
thread 13/14
A good teacher is flexible and willing to stray off book – they won’t stick to a script. And here was an instance where, like an improviser, I took a suggestion (doing a magic trick) and applied it in a humorous and non-demeaning way to get a student to do his work.
Brian Matthew Kim
A
thread 14/14
It was a creative and fun way to solve a problem. Plus, I got to pull off a real magic trick. #ThreadChallenge

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}