Ben Kendrick
A
thread 1/6
#AcrossTheSpiderverse is a solid follow-up to #IntotheSpiderVerse . Almost everything is better this round - especially the animation. The story is good but being Part 1 of a 2-part story that makes up a full trilogy, some narrative threads work better than others.
09:05 PM - May 31, 2023
Ben Kendrick
A
thread 2/6
Ultimately, the full arc the entire thing is building toward looks promising and I have faith the filmmakers will stick the landing. Regardless, there’s still plenty of humor and heart in Miles Morales’ sophomore entry.
Ben Kendrick
A
thread 3/6
That said, while Spider-Man 2099 and Spider-Punk are standout additions, the rest of the new cast gets lost in the sea of Spider-people the film dishes out. Similarly, The Spot is more mcguffin than Kingpin-quality antagonist; though, there’s still time to see that storyline payoff.
Ben Kendrick
A
thread 4/6
I’m curious to see how casual moviegoers who are not steeped in medium-spanning Spider-Man stories feel about the sheer volume of callbacks, references, and inside jokes packed into Across the Spider-Verse.
09:06 PM - May 31, 2023
Ben Kendrick
A
thread 5/6
Of course, I enjoyed them and even teared up at a few - but my brain is packed with decades of Spider-Man experiences. I could see some people feeling as if they’re missing some of the films bigger laughs and easter eggs.
Ben Kendrick
A
thread 6/6
Across the Spider-Verse is a worthy continuation - one that pulls some intriguing moves in its setup to #beyondthespiderverse . Thankfully, we’ve only got one year to wait.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}