Carson Gibbs
A
The city of Santa Monica installed protected bike lanes and saw not a 10%, not a 100%, but a 1,000% increase in biking.

If you build the bike lanes, the bikes will come, and the cars will leave. Traffic goes down, sustainability, safety, happiness and business revenue goes up, everybody wins!
12:09 PM - Jun 03, 2023
Sabine
A
In response to Carson Gibbs.
That´s the reason why they start building "express" bikelanes in my county (Baden-Württemberg), to induce biking not only within a town or a city, but to coax people in the surrounding areas to commute by bike.
01:51 PM - Jun 03, 2023
Max Prophet
A
When I was younger and in Miami at Uni I used my bike to go everywhere, in Coral Gables. Even on beer runs. But not farther. In Boston wt excellent pub transit and crap weather, not practical. In Los Angeles not practical at all. Glendale to Bev Hills? Now I'm not able to. But glad it made SM better
12:34 PM - Jun 03, 2023
Carson Gibbs
A
In response to Max Prophet.
That is excellent, even those few trips are so beneficial to society. With good weather, bike lanes only make it better, and we can't just build bike lanes for perfect weather places only. If we only built infrastructure for good weather, we'd build nothing lol. Love the positivity :)
06:41 PM - Jun 03, 2023
Sharon Dohrmann
A
I am advocating for protected bike lanes in my town and like to collect evidence for why this would be good for our community. Do you have a link you can post that corroborates the statistic you shared?
12:23 PM - Jun 03, 2023
Carson Gibbs
A
In response to Sharon Dohrmann.
I would be happy to help you on every level! I have study after study I can send your way.

DM me so we can chat or I can post them here.

The stats came from the city of Santa Monica's Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/santam...
06:32 PM - Jun 03, 2023
Thomas Strini
A
Absolutely right. Look at NYC in the last few years, too. The key is "protected." Painting lines on the street doesn't get it done.
12:21 PM - Jun 03, 2023
Carson Gibbs
A
In response to Thomas Strini.
Absolutely right! Paint does NOT mean protection. Let's put up some concrete barriers and steel bollards.
06:35 PM - Jun 03, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}