Portia McGonagal
A
The usual melanin-deficient suspects are of course in their feels about "Lift Every Voice and Sing" but I'll guarantee couldn't tell you that the Star Spangled Banner wasn't the national anthem until 100 years after it was written. 1/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/10/18/star-spangled-
12:21 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Michael-McCloud T
A
In response to Portia McGonagal.
Also ignored by SBB supporters: “the melody assigned to the lyrics of “The Star-Spangled Banner” was a popular English drinking song called “To Anacreon in Heaven.” Written around 1775 by John Stafford Smith, the song honored the ancient Greek poet Anacreon, a lover of wine.” Bottoms up! ????
04:02 PM - Feb 13, 2023
pashunissavvy
A
Of course, there are a ton of folks who don't know the history of this song. And if Republicans continue to have their way in state governments across the country, slavery won't exist either.
01:08 PM - Feb 13, 2023
William Tulloch
A
I'm an atheist, but would support replacing our current anthem, which aside from any other concerns is a bad tune that's hard to sing, with "American the Beautiful," even with it's mention of "God." Of course, the woman who wrote that may have been lesbian, so I'm sure #MAGA nation would complain.
12:28 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Portia McGonagal
A
In response to William Tulloch.
I'd be fine w/ that too!
12:29 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Southern Marylander
A
In response to William Tulloch.
Absolutely. It's just a better song in every way.

Also not opposed to replacing the Star Spangled Banner with random poetry from Amanda Gorman... but also set to :: checks notes :: British drinking songs.
12:39 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Angela
A
Lift Every Voice and Sing is 1,000x better a song than the Star Spangled Banner. That tired old racist song that's impossible to sing belongs in the dustbin of history.
12:28 PM - Feb 13, 2023
RScottTiptonMPA
B
I hope they change it.
12:23 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Portia McGonagal
A
2/
"The longer version — of both the song and the story of the man who wrote it — reveals not only why it has become controversial now, in this season of racial reckoning, football and presidential campaigning, but why it was too controversial to become the national anthem for more than a century a
12:22 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Portia McGonagal
A
3/
"And even if these lyrics aren’t meant to be explicitly racist, Key clearly was. He descended from a wealthy plantation family and enslaved people. He spoke of Black people as “a distinct and inferior race” and supported emancipating the enslaved only if they were immediately shipped to Africa"
12:23 PM - Feb 13, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}