Ben Kendrick
A
thread 1/8
I’m a known #Transformers   movie apologist but objectively, #RiseOfTheBeasts   is one of the better entries in the series. Fans who missed the grandiose scale of Bay’s movies but appreciated the more intimate storylines in Bumblebee will find RotB is a solid middle ground.
01:20 AM - Jun 06, 2023
Ben Kendrick
A
thread 2/8
The human characters are, arguably, the best yet - and there a very few of them (making this the most Transformer-focused installment). Out of all the films, this one “feels” the most like an adaptation of the cartoon - but manages to stay grounded (for a Transformer movie).
01:20 AM - Jun 06, 2023
Ben Kendrick
A
thread 3/8
Mirage is a lot of fun and it was interesting to see a more cynical Optimus Prime (before he became the hero we know he becomes); however, I do think Beast Wars fans should temper their expectations - as the Maximals are only in just over 1/3 of the film.
01:21 AM - Jun 06, 2023
Ben Kendrick
A
thread 4/8
That isn’t to say that they’re relegated to Dinobot-like trailer fodder, Primal and Airazor in particular get a decent amount of development, but this isn’t Beast Wars either. RotB is still heavy on human and Autobot screen time.
Ben Kendrick
A
thread 5/8
Scourge is an adequate antagonist but no Megatron (in memorability) or Shockwave (in inventive action set pieces) but with the threat of a more canon-accurate Unicron in the mix, there’s a menace to him that we didn’t see in previous films.
Ben Kendrick
A
thread 6/8
There are a couple of convenient/cheap plot points that felt manipulative and unnecessary the film could have done without - but I doubt most people going to see a Transformers movie will care. It’s not the biggest or the best TF movie but it lands a really enjoyable balance.
01:22 AM - Jun 06, 2023
Ben Kendrick
A
thread 7/8
I judge films on what they aspire to be and RotB succeeds at being fun and somewhat heartfelt summer blockbuster action. It’s not going to win over moviegoers who have written this series off and weren’t wooed back in by Bumblebee - but fans should be more than satisfied.
Ben Kendrick
A
thread 8/8
Last thing: there’s a killer pre-end credits tease that actually surprised me and left me very curious about where this series may eventually go.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}