Brian Kelley
A
The late, great Johnny Clegg — an inspirational musician/activist/educator — would have turned 70 years old today. Here is Johnny performing “Asimbonanga” with another legend, Peter Gabriel, at the 46664 Arctic show in 2005.

youtu.be/d-4C9_0c59g
Johnny Clegg & Peter Gabriel - Asimbonanga (46664 Arctic 2005) - YouTube

Johnny Clegg & Peter Gabriel - Asimbonanga: From the concert: 46664 Arctic 11 june 2005 in Tromsø. Live from Tromsø.

08:52 AM - Jun 07, 2023 (Edited)
Margo Green
A
In response to Brian Kelley.
Love his music. Never got to see him live.
08:56 AM - Jun 07, 2023
Brian Kelley
A
In response to Margo Green.
Became a fan in 1989, but aside from listening to his music, I didn’t follow him closely enough to know when he was around my area. In 2014, I saw he was playing Philly so I finally corrected that. Saw him 2 more times after that. Among the best shows I’ve ever seen…like a lecture AND concert.
09:54 AM - Jun 07, 2023
Margo Green
A
I might be a tad jealous. I found him about 15-20 years or so ago by accident and immediately fell in love with his music.
10:15 AM - Jun 07, 2023
Brian Kelley
A
He’s much more “pop” than his dad was, but have you checked out Jesse Clegg’s music? Johnny wrote “Cruel, Crazy, Beautiful World” for Jesse just after he was born. Jesse returned the favor and wrote this for Johnny’s final album, 2017’s King of Time.
https://youtu.be/qHNlcO8oe...
Johnny Clegg - I've Been Looking ft. Jesse Clegg - YouTube

Music video by Johnny Clegg performing I've Been Looking. © 2018 Oceanbeat (Pty) Ltd, under exclusive license to Universal Music (Pty) Ltd (ZA)http://vevo.ly...

02:16 PM - Jun 08, 2023
Margo Green
A
Oh, I didn't realize that. Love this video. I'll check out his other stuff. Thanks for letting me know.
03:06 PM - Jun 08, 2023 (Edited)
Brian Kelley
A
Also, you might want to check out this 2021 Walk the Moon song. Jesse Clegg and WTM’s Nicholas Petricca are friends and they wrote and recorded it with Johnny just before he died in 2019. I was so happy at the time to hear Johnny again two years after he left us. https://youtu.be/swCYGfqox...
WALK THE MOON - Fire In Your House (Official Video) ft. Johnny Clegg, Jesse Clegg - YouTube

...in memory of legendary South African artist, anthropologist, and activist Johnny Clegg. Clegg was a music pioneer, celebrating and intertwining African an...

03:48 PM - Jun 08, 2023
Margo Green
A
Wow! That was great! I'm excited to learn about Jesse since I was not aware of his music. Johnny's my guy though.
03:58 PM - Jun 08, 2023
Brian Kelley
A
Jesse opened for his dad on his later tours, and I’ve made it my mission to spread the word about his music. I’ve only ever heard one of his songs in the wild at a Panera. Just feel like it’s a personal tradition to support a Clegg.
04:42 PM - Jun 08, 2023
Margo Green
A
I love that. It's a great mission to have. No one I know has ever even heard of Johnny or Jesse. But of course I live in TX so it's no surprise.
04:50 PM - Jun 08, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}