Black Music Project
A
thread 1/7
A Big thumbs up to the new #doowop #documentary #film Heart & Soul: A Love Story! Though not an exhaustive history of the genre or deep sociopolitical exploration, the movie still gives you great insight into what doo-wop and its performers were about. #rocknroll #blackmusicmonth #FrankieLymon
01:46 PM - Jun 09, 2023
Black Music Project
A
thread 2/7
It was interesting to see how those early #rocknroll shows were integrated. Kenny shares lots of footage from Alan Freed’s rock & roll concerts, and you see teens “from all five boroughs” laughing, dancing, & singing along to the music together. #AlanFreed #documentary #1950s #blackmusicmonth #NYC
02:00 PM - Jun 09, 2023
Black Music Project
A
thread 3/7
It would’ve been interesting if it had deeply explored those racial & sociopolitical things. But that could be for another #documentary filmmaker. Because what this film aimed to be was just like its title suggests, “a love story.” On that account, it was a great success. #doowop #blackmusicmonth
02:01 PM - Jun 09, 2023
Black Music Project
A
thread 4/7
If you enjoy documentaries about the people behind-the-scenes in the music industry, films like Standing in the Shadows of Motown, the Wrecking Crew, and 20 Ft from Stardom, then you need to see this. Also, fans of #SpoutingClassics will really enjoy this too! #doowop #rocknroll #blackmusicmonth
02:02 PM - Jun 09, 2023
Black Music Project
A
thread 5/7
Another reason to see and support the film is because it's a miracle it even exist at all. The director, Kenny Vance had his home destroyed in Hurricane Sandy and lost hundreds of hours of footage. #doowop #rocknroll #documentary #Hurricanes #HurricaneSandy #KennyVance
02:05 PM - Jun 09, 2023
Black Music Project
A
thread 6/7
Last night at the GRAMMY Museum, I gave an impromptu lesson showing the throughline from #doowop to #kpop in the green room using my #graphicfacilitation skills on a mirror. One of the attendees jokingly asked, "Are you saying Blacks invented everything cool in America?" #blackmusic
03:06 PM - Jun 09, 2023
Black Music Project
A
thread 7/7
I replied, "Let me put it this way, 'cool' as an expression and a concept was INVENTED by Black people." #blackmusicmonth #doowop #kpop #rocknroll
03:06 PM - Jun 09, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}