Angela
A
thread 1/2
I think many people falsely assume that because someone is okay with gay/lesbian people that they are also okay with transgender people. This is one of the many reasons it's my responsibility as a member of the LGBTQ+ community to show them why they are wrong and need to support trans people too.
12:50 PM - Jun 08, 2023
Angela
A
thread 2/2
Yes I've found it really effective.
03:48 PM - Jun 11, 2023
Angela
A
I think it's an area where many people need more education and hopefully she just needs someone like yourself to point the way and to remind them that treating everyone with respect and dignity doesn't require us to 100% understand everything about them.
03:28 PM - Jun 11, 2023
Dashimom
A
In response to Angela.
Something that my mom always said to my sister and I, growing up: “you don’t have to like someone or understand “them,” but you do have to treat them with respect, always”. That is something that I live by since she started telling and teaching us that to this very moment I’m spouting about it.
03:56 PM - Jun 11, 2023
Angela
A
In response to Dashimom.
I was taught the same but actually reminded my mom when we were talking about transgender people and she appreciated my reminder.
03:58 PM - Jun 11, 2023
Honey and pepper and roses en déshabillé
A
In response to Angela.
EXACTLY that, the understanding part - I've found that too many wannabe open-minded people conflate understanding with asking-a-LOT-of-crazy-inappropriate-questions. Interrogation isn't acceptance, and intrusion isn't kindness.
03:34 PM - Jun 11, 2023
Angela
A
In response to Honey and pepper and roses en déshabillé.
I ask people if the supercomputer they're holding in their hand during most of their waking hours is real. Then I ask them to explain what's inside and how it works and remind them that we accept things we don't understand all the time, so why aren't transgender people given the same consideration?
03:42 PM - Jun 11, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}