Diane Turner
A
thread 1/4
There has been a growing trend here that worries me:

Someone shares/says something a little off color or politically incorrect without malice. They are Quote Spouted and shamed.

I think a 1-1 conversation explaining why it offends may be more productive for a first attempt to rectify situation.
05:39 AM - Jun 13, 2023
Diane Turner
A
thread 2/4
Is it just me or does it sometimes feel like virtue signaling? It happened. Got a big response and now others jumping on that bandwagon. Eventually people will be too nervous to spout anything for fear of derision. I worry about mob bully mentality. The person usually just needs a helpful redirect
05:45 AM - Jun 13, 2023 (Edited)
Diane Turner
A
thread 3/4
I am a bit of an empath so I am pretty good at sensing intent even here. So I try to choose my words carefully. And I try to approach w kindness barring a snarky sense of humor. It’s starts to feel like high school ganging up on someone and making them feel unwelcome. Just comment “in bad taste.”
05:59 AM - Jun 13, 2023 (Edited)
Diane Turner
A
thread 4/4
Most people don’t want to be confrontational. But I know if it’s making me feel squeamish it’s making others that way too. This leads to less Spoutible engagement and possible account deletions by observers. It’s not healthy for Spoutible. People are leaving twitter to avoid this kind of thing.
06:28 AM - Jun 13, 2023
Jeanne Gustafson
A
In response to Diane Turner.
For me, that's why you might see a "subspout." I want to address the thing that made me feel something, but I'm not looking for a big group to get all in someone's tl.
11:39 PM - Jun 29, 2023
Jeanne Gustafson
A
I feel concerned every time bouzy quotes someone, if I'm being honest.
11:37 PM - Jun 29, 2023
Jess Martin
A
Some good observations here and perhaps I'm too much in my own bubble with @minnie to notice this. But self-censorship because I risk offending someone's sensibilities probably bypasses me.

I do find I tag her to ensure if I risk offending anyone, it's her and I know she won't be offended.
07:32 AM - Jun 13, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Jess Martin.
Lol. I know!
07:33 AM - Jun 13, 2023
Robert Fair
A
I have’nt seen that. Heard about some tangentially. Maybe I travel in the wrong circles. I should get out more? What I am seeing right now is a turkey having a stare down with a woodchuck. What is that all about?
07:03 AM - Jun 13, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Robert Fair.
Lucky you!

And a woodchuck? Could chuck wood?
07:05 AM - Jun 13, 2023
Sal E
A
In response to Robert Fair.
I saw a lot of one of the recent kerfluffles in my timeline even though I'm not following either of the individuals involved. The mute cannot come soon enough.

I followed the context because I follow people involved in the original discussion (which was valuable). The aftermath, less so.
09:30 AM - Jun 13, 2023
Bev Turner
A
Learned very quickly on here whose accounts to comment on without it becoming a confrontation. Avoid those and keep on scrolling. Also have a feeling a few of these accounts follow my replies to others. Keep my comments to myself about as often as I did on the bird.
06:53 AM - Jun 13, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Bev Turner.
Bev. That is good. But the people being quoted spouted are not being followed or following the quote spouter. They don’t even know they been quote spouted in some instances until they’ve been vilified by a mob and their reputation hurt. If one really cares they could comment on the post.
06:57 AM - Jun 13, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}