Anton Brakhage
A
thread 1/8
Its a shame most people haven't read more of the Sherlock Holmes stories. They probably just know Hound of the Baskervilles, and/or a bastardized version of Irene Adler and Moriarty. Which are good stories, but that's about a tenth of the Holmes canon.

A few recommendations of lesser-known Holmes:
01:14 AM - May 15, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 2/8
1. The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton.

I wrote a short play adaptation of this one (as well as Irene's story, a Scandal In Bohemia). A story I find ahead of its time, particularly its conclusion. And proof that the idea Holmes was no good after Doyle brought him back is quite wrong.
01:18 AM - May 15, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 3/8
2. The Five Orange Pips.

Sherlock Holmes versus the Ku Klux Klan. Enough said.
01:18 AM - May 15, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 4/8
3. The Adventure of the Speckled Band.

A rather dark story that always struck a cord with me for reasons I can't entirely define.
01:20 AM - May 15, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 5/8
4. The Adventure of the Yellow Face. A really heartwarming and (for its time at least) surprisingly progressive ending.
01:21 AM - May 15, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 6/8
5. The Adventure of the Norwood Builder.

Another strong post-resurrection story (the first after the story that brought Holmes back IIRC), featuring (in my opinion) some of Holmes' best deductive work, and one of my favourite lines in the series.
01:22 AM - May 15, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 7/8
6. The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle.

If you find the idea of a nice light Christmas-themed Holmes story.

Yes, Sherlock Holmes has a Christmas special.
01:24 AM - May 15, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 8/8
And of course, A Scandal In Bohemia (Irene Adler), The Final Problem (Moriarty), The Adventure of the Empty House (Moriarty), and The Hound of the Baskervilles are classics for good reason, and well worth reading, especially if you've only seen adaptations.
01:27 AM - May 15, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}