RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
A gentle reminder to everyone. We must be a welcoming community and respect the safety wishes of those who cannot use their actual names in their handle (So they may avoid being stalked, or to enforce social media policy at work, or to not attract unwanted attention).
04:10 AM - Feb 14, 2023
Only Love
A
In response to RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his).
For sure!
07:11 PM - Dec 15, 2023
Madrigal Rose
A
Hard to believe it has to be stated at all. 🤷🏼‍♀️
11:22 PM - Aug 09, 2023
CEChilds
A
Thank you! I don’t use my full name on social media because my job tends to make some rather unstable individuals unhappy so I don’t want to be easily searched. They are not the brightest bulbs in the pack so I don’t have to try too hard! But who cares how people identify themselves on here?
09:10 AM - Jul 31, 2023
D StorM
A
A name is a name. There’s nothing that says that’s who they are. So I don’t get the deal.
03:59 AM - Feb 23, 2023
A
In response to D StorM.
Safety and security. There are people in a situation where they cannot have their actual names up, rather they're escaping a dangerous situation, or have strict work social media policies.
04:01 AM - Feb 23, 2023
dmark
A
I have been dmark online for 13 years. It is who I am.
11:39 PM - Feb 22, 2023
Lulu
A
Thank you!
11:37 PM - Feb 22, 2023
bronxelf
A
Anyone who doesn't like it can GTFO. I've used this name online since the mid 90s. I'll keep using it. They don't like it, they don't have to talk to me and frankly that sounds like a win-win all the way around.
02:27 PM - Feb 20, 2023
Ohiobuxfan
A
Thank you! I'm not hiding anything, just have family with very different views than me and want to stay private due to work concerns, etc. Plus I really, really am a HUGE Ohio State fan❗
09:55 PM - Feb 16, 2023
Kinzie Mat
A
In response to Ohiobuxfan.
(In total jest over joking comment: This Boiler says that should warrant anonymity;)
09:58 PM - Feb 16, 2023
ejodee
A
07:40 PM - Feb 14, 2023
Madrigal Rose
A
In response to ejodee.
Thank gawd I'm not the only one who thinks of this when I see his name
11:15 PM - Aug 09, 2023 (Edited)
Sara Chirico
A
🐳Thank you for pointing this out to everyone! Caring people like yourself is why I'm loving it here. 💕🐳
07:28 PM - Feb 14, 2023
Janie
A
Never pair your real name and the phone number that you use for 2nd factor authentication for anything important (e.g. banking). A lesson learned from being a victim in a data breach of an insurance co last year.
05:32 PM - Feb 14, 2023
RavenOnthill
A
Especially, remember that not everyone is in the United States where are relatively liberal laws protect a great many people. Also, some people are subject to harassment by authorities and may not safely use their wallet name.
05:20 PM - Feb 14, 2023
Shamrock
A
Thank you! 😊
05:05 PM - Feb 14, 2023
Jeff Russell
A
💯
01:39 PM - Feb 14, 2023
Rabbit
A
Thank you for spouting this it's very important
10:12 AM - Feb 14, 2023
Evolve Undefined
A
Appreciate this understanding. I am a licensed therapist and I have public accounts where I say “public things” appropriate for my professional role with clients. It’s important for me to have privacy to speak my mind about politics and other things. I still have personal ethics and try not to sa
10:07 AM - Feb 14, 2023
Veronica
A
In response to Evolve Undefined.
Can relate. 👍
03:31 AM - Feb 18, 2023
Simple Sheep
A
Thank you! I grew up with internet safety protocols and while the world changed a bit, I don't give my real name to any website unless I HAVE to (like the bank or government). I just feel safer this way!
09:17 AM - Feb 14, 2023
D. Gray
A
Thank you! I had a bad experience with a weirdo from a tv-show fan forum back in the day. (The harassment and threats lasted a couple of years). I’m lucky that person was all bark and no bite, but I will never use real info again.
08:55 AM - Feb 14, 2023
Cheerful Corvid
A
Yep. I wouldn't use my name here. With anonymity, I can casually mention my family, etc. without exposing them directly to "the internet"

I'm still cautious about what I post. Like I tell my kids, don't type anything that would ruin your life if everyone in the world sees it
08:48 AM - Feb 14, 2023
Happy Cat
A
I concur.
08:33 AM - Feb 14, 2023
Charlottes Webb
A
In due time friends. In due time....
08:29 AM - Feb 14, 2023

Only followers of this user (spacegirllost) can see their posts

Duncan's Mom
A
Yup. I'm a blue dot in a very red area. Not going to risk it. Besides, Duncan loves the notoriety. 😁
06:36 AM - Feb 14, 2023
Dr. Ikedife Uba #FamilyFirst.Phronesis
A
Thank you for the reminder!
05:39 AM - Feb 14, 2023
RFinkus
A
I’ve got a very good reason to like this spout!
05:18 AM - Feb 14, 2023
Casey Wagner
A
I like the current phone number method of verification. A person can be any name they want, but if they're a troll it will bite them in the end. And those not using their legal/full names for safety reasons don't have to worry.
05:12 AM - Feb 14, 2023
Casey Wagner
A
In response to Casey Wagner.
My go-to example from the birdsite was a guy who sent rape and death threats to many women years ago. Some in the same city he lived. I provided ten different threats to Twitter and they said they didn't violate the ToS. If he had real names for the women local to him? Yikes.
05:14 AM - Feb 14, 2023
LivinAloha
B
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
04:29 AM - Feb 14, 2023
A
In response to LivinAloha.
Yes, this came up a couple of days ago when a reminder had to be made to not force people to use the site legally a certain way as everybody will use it differently (obviously the ToS has to be enforced).
04:30 AM - Feb 14, 2023
DJDW
A
That is it exactly. I had magas calling my place of employment in an attempt to get me fired simply because of my tweets on the bird site. It seems safer here but still not going to risk it..
04:28 AM - Feb 14, 2023
A
In response to DJDW.
I've seen that happen before, it's very damned dangerous in all cases.
04:32 AM - Feb 14, 2023
The POGfather
A
In response to DJDW.
Geez sorry you had to go through that. I wonder if everyone had to be verified and using their real identity if it would stop the online harassment.
Not sure if even that would help - people in Congress say stuff every day that would get me FIRED from my corporate job in a heartbeat. Crazy world.
08:09 AM - Feb 14, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}