Pamela B'well
A
thread 1/14
Today in the #library : A Disturbing Phone Call
It was lunch and a busy time when I answered the phone. The caller ID let me know it was an outside line and I assumed it was a parent calling about some issue with a student's library record. (I'm still sending notices to recent grads about books.)
05:55 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Pamela B'well
A
thread 2/14
The caller started out saying, "I have a meeting with the superintendent later this week and I want to be sure I have all my ducks in a row..."

I said, "Let me stop you because I think you may have called the wrong number. This is a high school library."
06:07 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Pamela B'well
A
thread 3/14
She said, "Oh no. I have the right number. I want to come to your library later today to see if you have certain books."

At this moment, I had a bad feeling but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. I said, "I'm not sure how I can help you get ready for a meeting with the Superintendent ...
06:10 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Pamela B'well
A
thread 4/14
... I'm sorry, but can you tell me who you are again?"

(There was a chance that this was a Mom perhaps looking for some books for her child to read over the summer...)

but then she answered:

"I'm a citizen."
06:13 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Pamela B'well
A
thread 5/14
THAT felt like a clue, since she didn't say she was a parent, which is usually how callers identify themselves when they are calling about an issue with their child's Library account.

I was not comfortable with the prospect of a "citizen" showing up in the library.
06:16 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Pamela B'well
A
thread 6/14
I said, "I have my computer right here. Why don't you tell me the titles you're looking for and I will see if we have them."

Her tone changed. She was annoyed.

"I don't have the list right here in front of me."

I said nothing. Then she added:
06:17 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Pamela B'well
A
thread 7/14
"Well, I suppose if you have this first title, you have all of them."

"What's the first title?" I said.

She answered: "The book is called 'Gender Queer'."

"Oh, is this about a contention?" I said, taking my hands off the keyboard.

"Yes," she said.
06:20 PM - Jun 13, 2023 (Edited)
Pamela B'well
A
thread 8/14
"At this point I am going to refer you to our Principal," I said. "Would you like me to transfer you?"

She said, "Oh, well then I will just tell the superintendent that you refused to help me."

"No," I said. "I am following protocol.
It's not my place to field your questions."
06:24 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Pamela B'well
A
thread 9/14
"Ok. I will tell the superintendent," she said.

"So you don't want to be transferred to the Principal then?" I said. "Ok. Good-bye," and I hung up.

I informed the Principal and my district librarian. A little later, I got a phone call from my contemporary at another high #SchoolLibrary .
06:27 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Pamela B'well
A
thread 10/14
Unlike me, Lydia decided to dig deeper.
"Do you have a student at my high school?
No? Then why do you want to know what books we have? Do you have a student in this District?
Yes? What school?"

The woman is listed as the 2nd parent/guardian of a student in my building. Both names are female.
06:31 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Pamela B'well
A
thread 11/14
A quick facebook search of the "1st parent" yielded a woman standing with the boy who matched the picture of the student in my school records. She's listed as single.
Maybe my caller is the grandmother of the student, or the sister of the actual parent. The boy's mother may not know about the call.
06:36 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Pamela B'well
A
thread 12/14
The Principal shared my account of the phone call with the Superintendent. He may already know what he's getting into with that meeting. I'm grateful that I work in a District with a written policy of inclusion and acceptance.

"We're on it," my librarian assured me. I trust that they are.
06:38 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Pamela B'well
A
thread 13/14
What I know for sure is that I felt terrorized by the righteousness of this woman's decision to call me today. I'm now on the front lines.

It's not enough that I have supported every student in my sphere for 20+ years to access information, and to read fiction where they feel represented.
06:42 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Pamela B'well
A
thread 14/14
When my counterpart asked why she didn't call the school that her student attends, the caller said, "I did call. The librarian was rude. She refused to help me."

I was not rude, but I was clear. And I am determined, now more than ever, to stand up to the ignorance and hate that's at my door.
06:48 PM - Jun 13, 2023 (Edited)
Betsy Fagin
A
Love to you from another librarian 💕 sounds like you handled it beautifully, with care & respect— not rude at all. As we’ve all seen, sometimes folks only hear what they want to hear. Keep up the great work 👍🏽
In response to Pamela B'well.
06:32 AM - Jun 14, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}