Joy Reid
A
thread 1/2
If you have a heart, this will make you sick. Also you should know these things about your country…
https://www.propublica.org...
01:21 PM - Jun 16, 2023
Archie Leach
A
In response to Joy Reid.
Point of clarification on something stated in this excellent article. Let's move away from the phrase "slaves were transported." They werent. Most were bound & forcibly marched, often hundreds of miles, by brutal slave "drivers" who could be contracted by wealthy enslavers. This was visible to all.
03:51 AM - Jul 27, 2023
Archie Leach
A
In response to Joy Reid.
Thanks for sharing this. I highly recommend the Ball book, Slaves in The Family. Read years ago but stayed with me. Also rec The Half Has Never Been Told to get clear idea of how fully slavery was woven massively into US growth and prosperity.
03:43 AM - Jul 27, 2023
NorthCoast TerryMerryJoan
A
In response to Joy Reid.
Thank you for Sharing this article.
06:37 PM - Jun 21, 2023 (Edited)
Shira Turrentine
A
In response to Joy Reid.
This is history Republicans want hidden. Even knowing about my family's enslavement at Riversdale by Calvert family, this sickens me.
01:27 PM - Jun 19, 2023
Sabrina Clem
A
In response to Joy Reid.
I am gutted each and every time I read, watch or hear abt what my people hve gone through. I am reminded daily that we still suffer from those white supremacist systems that are supporting the foundation of the USA. 48% of WW still vote for a racist, misogynist. SMDH! Be WOKE y'all not sleep.
05:04 PM - Jun 16, 2023
NorthCoast TerryMerryJoan
A
In response to Sabrina Clem.
🕯
06:37 PM - Jun 21, 2023
Lisa OVC
A
In response to Joy Reid.
Should be taught in history classes at all levels. If we do not teach our history we are doomed to repeat it...See book bans resurfaced again..
03:30 PM - Jun 16, 2023
steveN b
A
In response to Joy Reid.
“Nikole Hannah Jones: "If you can feel pride in things you didn't personally take part in, then you can feel shame in things you didn't personally take part in. Some of you are motivated to make this hard, but it’s only hard because you want the glory of our history but not the burden.”
02:33 PM - Jun 16, 2023
Ellen Leigh
A
In response to steveN b.
Yes. This resonated with me. Some of my ancestors were well to do southerners during this time period. I have no doubt that they owned people and THAT generated their wealth. That sickens me as it should every citizen, that it DOESN'T confounds me.
12:28 PM - Jun 21, 2023
steveN b
A
In response to Joy Reid.
A very difficult article to read, and another gut wrenching example from 1848 ….
02:21 PM - Jun 16, 2023
Ellen Leigh
A
In response to steveN b.
'Future Insurance' is the phrase that sickens me the most. Either the women were pregnant or known to be reliably so, in order to breed more slaves. That along with 'budding out', make me want to puke. These are people, not property.
12:34 PM - Jun 21, 2023
Betsy
A
In response to steveN b.
My God 😩
08:13 PM - Jun 25, 2023
Dena
A
In response to Joy Reid.
Just horrible and to think that certain people in government already have created laws, so that this history will never be allowed to be taught to children again! 😕
History is taught so we NEVER make those horrible decisions again. 😡
02:12 PM - Jun 16, 2023 (Edited)
YellowDogYankee
A
In response to Joy Reid.
TY for link. I live about 6 miles from the Butler Plantation with a plaque commemorating "The Weeping Place. I have passed on to a local group which will be very interested in this find.
02:12 PM - Jun 16, 2023
Camara Reed she/her/we/us
A
In response to Joy Reid.
This is American history.
01:56 PM - Jun 16, 2023
Jennifer Bays
A
In response to Joy Reid.
I read the entire article. Outside of the physical cruelty of slavery, the mental torture of being separated from family members and being treated as chattel to be bought, sold, or traded at any moment is unfathomable. The echoes of this dehumanization live on today.
01:33 PM - Jun 16, 2023
Dr. So-Called B
A
In response to Jennifer Bays.
Annnnnnnnd people wonder why African Americans have a lot of violence in communities -- when you teach a group of people they are worthless with murder, rape, and torture for 400 years don't expect complete civility. The value of African Americans as humans still remains a problem in America today.
08:35 PM - Jun 28, 2023
Simon Sands
A
In response to Joy Reid.
She had discovered what appears to be the largest known slave auction in the United States and, with it, a new story in the nation’s history of mass enslavement — about who benefited and who was harmed by such an enormous transaction.
Thanks for the recommendation Joy...
01:23 PM - Jun 16, 2023
frog_enabler
A
In response to Simon Sands.
After the Shoah, Holocaust (1933-45), came a long discussion of what to name it. US chattel Slavery went on for centuries w/ millions of victims. Largest crime against humanity in modern global history, no? "Slavery is in the Bible too." Not the same. Need to name it to face it. "Mass"better, but .
06:11 PM - Sep 20, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}