RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
thread 1/9
I just have a straight up comment. I am getting tired of lazy parents just putting and shoving a screen in their kid's face then being pissy when things go sideways. Here's how it goes, if the device/browser had parental controls, and if parents limited the screen time, they would be better off.
08:41 PM - Jun 17, 2023
A
thread 2/9
I'm not a father at all, but I know how hard it is. I did babysit my nieces and nephews back when they needed it, when their parents had to go to school or work.
08:42 PM - Jun 17, 2023
A
thread 3/9
One of the biggest things I needed to do was to make sure that they not only watched age appropriate shows, but also to get away from the screen from time to time. It's not that easy, but it has to be done.
08:43 PM - Jun 17, 2023
A
thread 4/9
This goes to my bigger point. If you're a parent or guardian...why are you expecting the government, TV Stations groups/networks, studios, etc to do your job for you. They've given you the tools.
08:44 PM - Jun 17, 2023
A
thread 5/9
For example all TVs post 1993 are required to have a parental block if the size is 13 inches diagonal or larger. This was signed by Bill Clinton...and in 1997 the TV industry adopted the TV ratings system which has been refined.
08:45 PM - Jun 17, 2023
A
thread 6/9
Also keep in mind that the Movie Ratings system, and the Parental Advisory Sticker also were availble to parents. As for the internet...you have parental controls on your devices and browsers. It's time to use them. Even search engines employ some sort of safe search.
08:48 PM - Jun 17, 2023
A
thread 7/9
This is where my frustration comes in with the Government (EARN it act) and lazy parenting comes to the surface. Lazy parents shove a screen in their kids face, or don't supervise their time, and expect good things to happen.
08:49 PM - Jun 17, 2023
A
thread 8/9
Again going back to my experiences, I made sure to limit the screen time of my nieces and nephews when they wanted to use the computer. It usually started for 30 minutes, but they were given one hour, and I was in the room with them to make sure they didn't search anything bad, and to help them.
08:50 PM - Jun 17, 2023
A
thread 9/9
In total, for the smarter parents out there who do what you gotta do to keep your kids safe and taking charge, God bless you. For the lazy parents...I'm going to say you need to reflect on your actions, because it's hurting your kids in the long run.
08:51 PM - Jun 17, 2023
Annie Tripp
A
Out for dinner tonight & while waiting for a table, was sharing space with parents, their infant & what I would guess was a 4 year old daughter. Both parents were locked in their phones, so the daughter gabbed non-stop with my friend and I. Swear if we left with her they wouldn't have noticed. SMH
In response to RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his).
08:46 PM - Jun 17, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}