Squaregarte
A
thread 1/3
What to do with rats in your yard with lots of birds and squirrels?
Like to keep birds and squirrels safe. Seems head shotting rats is the most humane kills and 100% safe for the other animals. The intentional kills leave lingering guilt...

Leave Alone: damages...

Poison: slow and painful

Head shots: guilt of kill

Exterminator: Varies by..

13 votes — 12:07 PM - Jun 18, 2023 (Edited)
Squaregarte
A
thread 2/3
Also noticed from observations about rats:
1. Rats take care of their injurred. I've missed 2 headshots thinking they would not survive. The injurred go missing for a few weeks and return later, crippled, but functional.
12:15 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Squaregarte
A
thread 3/3
2. Rats are really well organized. They send out scouts to new areas, and send senior investigator rats for missing members. The investigator are larger in stature, watching in safety, and identified threats. The whole pack's behavior changes after the investigation, avoiding dangerous areas.
12:17 PM - Jun 18, 2023 (Edited)
Bruce Wade
A
The rats are there because they know there is food and shelter.

They will remain until that changes.

One needs to remove access to food and eliminate shelters because they will keep coming back until you do.
In response to Squaregarte.
04:30 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Squaregarte
A
In response to Bruce Wade.
I do love feeding the birds and squirrels.. Watching them in me years has helped me through the pandemic.
04:52 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Bruce Wade
A
In response to Squaregarte.
I would suggest putting the critter food on an elevated platform or two. That should reduce the rat population a bit as they would have to expose themselves.
01:07 AM - Jul 02, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}