Jeff McFadden
A
thread 1/20
My name is Jeff and I am a compulsive writer. I don't appear to be able to go many days without writing something. This is a lifelong condition, but I'll leave out most of the story.
But, for the past five years I have been writing in birdland, a tale of ecosystem catastrophe, climate change, donks.
05:15 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 2/20
I have written, mostly, in thread format. The fact that Spoutible supports this form, and how they execute that, is a factor in my decision to come here.
Over there I have friends who have been with me for a decade or more, plus newer readers.
Now new people, a new path.
05:18 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 3/20
I write essays. It is usually the case that each spout or other noise is, in my mind, a paragraph.
Here I have 300 character paragraphs, that's good. I'm comfortable with that.
I take a stand regarding the ecosystem catastrophe which is extreme and not widely accepted.
05:20 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 4/20
I view the ecosystem catastrophe as a catastrophe of excess energy introduced into the system.
The CO2 is a symptom of that energy, but heating is only one symptom of the broad ecosystem collapse.
I do not spend much time talking about specific numbers, measurements -
05:22 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 5/20
My position is based on the following axiom, if that's quite the right term.
We accept the following as self evident: every measurable subsystem of the global ecosystem is in steep decline.
The atmosphere has too much carbon in various forms and is heating.
Every biome on planet Earth is degrading
05:25 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 6/20
The oceans are dying the birds are dying the bugs are dying the fresh water is going away the topsoil is going away.
One large portion of the public conversation is screaming about specific details of the overall pattern I just described.
Whales. Or elephants. Or bees. I mean, these things matter.
05:27 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 7/20
But none of them can be addressed individually.
Our actions to source the energy we use are destructive to ecosystems. We have made a deal: it's all about carbon and jobs. Anything we do which we can advertise as reducing carbon gets a free pass.
05:29 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 8/20
The three biggest things the United States and the world could do to reduce the increasing ecosystem degradation, including increasing fossil fuel use, would be:
05:30 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 9/20
🔸Quit building highways. The biggest single immediately available reduction in CO2 emissions. Existing highways as we have defined them are ecosystem death spots. They are worse than dead. They catch solar heat continent wide, worldwide, create million mile heat Islands. Then we build more.
05:33 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 10/20
🔸 Quit building and installing utility scale solar or wind energy harvesting machines, commonly (for no particular reason, not factually in any sense) called "renewables."
There is no possibility we can ever build enough. It is a tail chase to infinity, powered by fossil fuels in the real world.
05:36 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 11/20
Regardless of what the sales people are telling us, the fact is, measurably, already measured and recorded, the more renoobles we build and the faster we build them and the more share of energy, actually only of electricity, the farther behind we get.
We're doing it.
It's not working.
05:38 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 12/20
Every nation on Earth which builds so-called renewables is currently also building new fossil fuel power plants.
If we've got to increase our energy use every year (which I dispute) let's just build the gas plants and leave out the middleman. We're building them either way.
05:40 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 13/20
Next,
🔸Halt subsidizing car buying.
Never again subsidize the purchase of a new high energy vehicle, no matter how powered.
It takes energy to build them so we can spend energy to run them and pay ourselves on the back because we're powering our transportation
05:42 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 14/20
by increasing global demand for an energy carrier which is, today and for any realistic future, the biggest single consumer of coal in the world.
Here! We'll pay you to buy a car that's 15% coal powered, 63% fossil fuel powered, For The Climate®.
No. Just don't. It's more energy.
05:50 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 15/20
Words like "carbon free" and "net zero" are meaningless.
The only number that counts is KWH. BTU. Joules.
The the bigger that number, the better all the things we measure are, GDP in particular, and the worse the ecosystem and anything else that matters is.
We're measuring it. Check the news.
05:53 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 16/20
🔸 Rethink the term "efficiency."
We measure efficiency in terms of human productivity. How many whatever-it-is per human-hour.
The way we increase that number is by adding fossil energy into the process.
05:56 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 17/20
"Increase productivity" is synonymous with "mechanize" is synonymous with "add fossil energy."
Meanwhile another dark thread among the public conversation is overpopulation.
We are extracting and burning fossil fuels for the purpose of doing the required work to operate human society without
05:59 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 18/20
without human brains and bodies, meanwhile crying "we have too many human brains and bodies, we need more energy so we can redundant most of them.
AI!
06:00 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 19/20
AI is powered by FF.
Everyone loves pretending that if we burn enough FF
We can run the machine on FM.
It's not working.
We need to slow down.
Over in birdland I always end my threads with a ten or thirty seconds clip of my donkeys working, but right now not yet here. So
06:03 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
thread 20/20
The faster you go, the more you miss.
06:04 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Jeff McFadden
A
In response to Nao Quero.
I stumbled around over there. I have two accounts and would delete one of them if I could figure out how. I dunno - it's a weird time to be alive.
06:10 PM - Jun 18, 2023
Nao Quero
A
In response to Jeff McFadden.
Lol, me too. I can't remember my pw to delete over at the angry place. Enjoy Spoutible
07:24 PM - Jun 18, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}