Bowerydoll
A
thread 1/6
If you're trying to learn more about Juneteenth, I can't encourage you enough to look beyond Granger's white savior narrative to see the reality of what was really going on. Just like the widely held misinformed belief that the Emancipation Proclamation immediately freed all enslaved (contd)
11:46 AM - Jun 19, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
thread 2/6
stopped chattel slavery in its tracks, there is so much more truth to pull from the margins. The real work in Galveston that day, as it was throughout the Civil War, was done by the Black soldiers in the U.S. Colored Troops. They were the ones who went to the labor/death camps (plantations) (contd)
11:47 AM - Jun 19, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
thread 3/6
and informed the enslaved people. It's beyond frustrating, but typically American, to see them edited out of the real history and Granger centered as a solitary white hero delivering Order 3 from that veranda. I encourage everyone, young and old, to read Order 3 and process what it actually (contd)
11:49 AM - Jun 19, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
thread 4/6
said. When I first read it, all I could do was shake my head. Enslaved people were being told to go back to work....for wages. They weren't encouraged to LEAVE those hellish labor camps. They were told to GO (contd)

https://www.galvestonhistory.org/news/juneteenth-and-general-order-no-3
11:56 AM - Jun 19, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
thread 5/6
BACK...to not be "idle"...and to not go looking for support at army encampments. The caucacity is beyond stunning, harsh and typical. But this is how we got here. The work for true liberation, equality & respect never ends. Never. Stop. Learning. Look beyond Amerikkkan myths & mis/disinformation.
12:02 PM - Jun 19, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
thread 6/6
12:07 PM - Jun 19, 2023
DrMHasOpinions
A
In response to Bowerydoll.
Agree. Loved (and hated) Dr. Carol Anderson's book White Rage for the details of history around this time period. (Hated the injustice, loved learning the truth of history)
06:36 PM - Jun 19, 2023
Bowerydoll
A
In response to DrMHasOpinions.
That's what kills me about the white right. They accuse us of being the snowflakes when they're the ones who are too fragile to sit with hard truths, think critically and learn from the past. Carole Anderson is one of my sheroes. She makes it plain and isn't afraid to lay out the facts.
06:41 PM - Jun 19, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}