Dan Kane
A
thread 1/2
We congratulate ourselves because we made #Juneteenth a federal holiday, and that's fantastic. But it doesn't erase the systemic racism that STILL permeates our culture. We want to believe that a holiday fixes it all. We have a lot to learn. Acknowledge your ignorance, and then shut up and listen.
Black People Freed Black People, Get It Right History | The Amber Ruffin Show - YouTube

The Amber Ruffin Show. New Episodes Streaming Every Friday on Peacock: https://pck.tv/3pOiao8Did you know that it’s almost Juneteenth! If you weren't sure wh...

01:51 PM - Jun 19, 2023
Dan Kane
A
thread 2/2
Yes, ignorance. Why do we demonize ignorance? I'm an upper-middle class CIS white male Christian. Acknowledging ignorance to what marginalized communities experience is seen as shaming. But I AM ignorant in these areas, & ignorance is only bad if I willfully stay there. Be ignorantly curious
01:52 PM - Jun 19, 2023
MaryKay15
A
In response to Dan Kane.
Yes - we have a LONG way to go. I think us white people can sometimes have a certain smugness, like yeah we're supporting, we're allies - yada yada yada. I mean I do believe I am all of that, but this stuff runs generations deep. Proclamations and dates on calendars are barely a beginning.
01:59 PM - Jun 19, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}