DJ
A
On X-Files this kid (who turns out to be a man-eating, mutant humanoid creature) works in a fast food joint.

He somehow can afford his own apartment despite (presumably) making minimum wage.

It was, hands down the most unrealistic thing I ever saw on the show.
12:50 AM - Jun 21, 2023
Atheist Spinster
A
In response to DJ.
I dunno, using big chunks of the Jim Rose Circus Sideshow without Mister Lifto was pretty far-fetched...
12:57 AM - Jun 21, 2023
DJ
A
In response to Atheist Spinster.
Haha. That episode was filmed in '97 & was supposed to take place in Costa Mesa, CA. I lived in OC at that time & can attest that having one's own apartment *and* a vehicle as that kid did was a pipe dream. 😂
01:00 AM - Jun 21, 2023 (Edited)
Atheist Spinster
A
And yet people who've never worked for minimum wage think that it's more important that CEOs get their profit points and stock options than that the people who actually do the work should live.
In response to DJ.
01:04 AM - Jun 21, 2023
DJ
A
In response to Atheist Spinster.
Right? I was making $2 above minimum wage at the time and could've conceivably afforded my own apartment but it would have meant not having a vehicle, going out, etc. Which at age 23 was a non-starter. In the end, I got a roommate.
01:07 AM - Jun 21, 2023
Atheist Spinster
A
In response to DJ.
Or living in someone's garage, instead of upstairs in the garage apartment... It reminds me of my "basement" apartment in New Orleans when I had my first job... $220 a month, 6'5" ceilings and reeaalllly loud Madonna on Saturday mornings when the McManager & actual drag queen upstairs did housework.
01:16 AM - Jun 21, 2023
Atheist Spinster
A
In response to DJ.
(There are no actual basements in Orleans Parish proper because of it being 6 feet below sea level.)
01:17 AM - Jun 21, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}