EdwardA(callmeEd)Peterson
A
Just because you CAN make a meatloaf without grains, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Doing so ruins the texture.

Also consider the origins -- meatloaf without grains is an affront to its tradition.
Steve Fenwick @scfw0x0f
An excellent meatloaf recipe is the Alton Brown one from Good Eats. No grains. The name comes from the shape, not the addition of grains.

It sounds like what you’ve been told is “meatloaf” is really “hamburger helper in a loaf pan”.
01:34 PM - Jun 04, 2023
06:05 PM - Jun 04, 2023
Steve Fenwick
A
In response to EdwardA(callmeEd)Peterson.
Alton Brown's meatloaf recipe, no grains, is epic.
12:37 AM - Jun 21, 2023
A
In response to Steve Fenwick.
Given that I once saw Alton Brown explain that changing the method on making fudge makes it not really fudge, I would say that Alton Brown making a grain-less meatloaf is hypocritical.

He made a ground beef block.
12:49 AM - Jun 21, 2023
Steve Fenwick
A
I haven't seen that, but I did have a professor explain how making steel and fudge are similar processes.

It's still meatloaf. Even M-W doesn't require grains as an ingredient for the primary definition.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/meat%20loaf
03:07 AM - Jun 21, 2023
A
Did the professor also explain that in order to be steel, the iron had to be mixed with carbon?

Joking aside, meat loaf is a poor man's meal, cheap meat stretched to feed more by adding other ingredients. Once you excluded the grains, you've gentrified it, altered its identity.
04:06 AM - Jun 21, 2023
A
Also, as a former linguist I assure you that dictionaries are authorities on how words are used, not on culinary accuracy...or botanical--according to the botonists tomatoes are fruit, but Merriam-Webster also uses the word vegetable: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tomato
04:06 AM - Jun 21, 2023
Steve Fenwick
A
But that's the point--how words are used in the vernacular is important. The idea that meatloaf requires grains is as irrelevant now as saying that a martini must have a specific number of olives.

Fudge vs steel: no, it was about the heating and cooling cycles used to avoid crystallization.
03:35 PM - Jun 21, 2023
A
It's that kind of thinking that leads to "ain't" and "irregardless".
08:56 PM - Jun 21, 2023
Steve Fenwick
A
No, it’s what leads to words like decimate changing in meaning from “reduce by one-tenth” to “reduce by a large amount”.

Are you sure you were a linguist?
03:48 AM - Jun 22, 2023
A
It does both.

Your example is acceptable change over time -- language is a fluid thing.

I chose the ones I did to illuminate how not all lingual change is good and some common usages should be avoided.

[And technically decimate would have been to take a tenth away (taxes) not just any reduction.]
04:15 AM - Jun 22, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}