Jeanne Gustafson
A
thread 1/7
I'm going to do a short thread on weight loss and the gym for women. If you are interested. Caveat, I am no one, no trainer, just sharing a few thoughts from my own experience as a woman.
11:47 PM - Jun 22, 2023
Jeanne Gustafson
A
thread 2/7
I've been working out consistently for fiveish weeks, three times a week. A friend has been going to the gym almost every day for three months. My scale isn't moving a lot but I'm ok and I know why. She's super frustrated.
11:50 PM - Jun 22, 2023
Jeanne Gustafson
A
thread 3/7
My fellow women. The scale is a liar and the weight loss industry has harmed you by focusing on that, imo.
11:51 PM - Jun 22, 2023
Jeanne Gustafson
A
thread 4/7
I lost some weight immediately, water loss etc. The scale hasn't moved in weeks. However, I've been building muscle, changing fat to muscle; the weight loss will follow, but already I dropped a pant size and 10 beats per minute off resting heart rate, even though my scale looks the same.
11:55 PM - Jun 22, 2023
Jeanne Gustafson
A
thread 5/7
My friend is doing the same thing every day...25 minutes walking on treadmill, followed by 25 or 30 minutes on rowing machine. These things are both good for your heart and general health, imo. But our bodies are extremely efficient and steady state cardio every day won't move the weight needle.
11:58 PM - Jun 22, 2023
Jeanne Gustafson
A
thread 6/7
If you're an older woman, like me, what moves things is progressive weightlifting (use the machines! Just increase the weight every couple of weeks) and interval training. On the treadmill, for example, mix a minute of going as fast as you can with a couple minutes of walking.
12:01 AM - Jun 23, 2023
Jeanne Gustafson
A
thread 7/7
That's my thought, for regular folks like me who don't have intervening health issues. And don't rely on the scale to measure positive progress :-)
12:03 AM - Jun 23, 2023
FabLife ROYAL EXPERT
A
Spouting great sense.
In that journey and use a PT. She is a killer and it is lots of muscle and core work with her.
I have not weighed in forever. She does not advocate scale as sole guide More that dress. Shoulder bones and MEASUREMENTS (thigh, arm, the usual, etc).
In response to Jeanne Gustafson.
12:47 AM - Jun 23, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}