Ptole Thors
A
I've spent quite a long time (okay not that long) looking into different interpretations of the simple question, "how many words I should write a day?" Have any of you found a number you work with, or have you simply decided the correct amount of words is the amount you write? #WritingCommunity
09:52 PM - Feb 14, 2023
GusRyer
A
In response to Ptole Thors.
I’ve gotta set daily goals for myself or I lose momentum. Currently working with 1k per day, but giving myself a lot of leeway. Used to be in hour+ sessions, but lately I’ve been doing 15-30 min chunks when I can steal time.

YMMV. Whatever works for you!
09:03 AM - Feb 15, 2023
Ptole Thors
A
In response to GusRyer.
That's right! My mom's a writer too, and I always tell her from reading to writing, even if you read just three pages and write just a 100 words, that's much more than zero! #WritingCommunity
09:29 AM - Feb 15, 2023
Will Roe
A
Wish I had a good answer.
My weekly writing time has always been Weekends 7-8am to about 2pm. Used to consider 3k per week productive, but sitting down and committing that time; plotting, outline, research, and just plain thinking about scenes and characters is all equally valid IMO
08:48 AM - Feb 15, 2023
Ptole Thors
A
In response to Will Roe.
Since I started the whole novel thing my life has been consumed! Working, eating sleeping, all while thinking about scenes or character. Some time ago I was like you trying to get that chapter finished a week or something similar, but I just couldn't do it due to inexperience/lack of confidence.
09:33 AM - Feb 15, 2023
Dana_Brown Spouts Off
A
I've never had a word count minimum. I will write for as long as what I'm writing makes sense and is true to the storyline and character arc. I've found that forced writing is a precursor to the delete button. At least for me.
11:38 PM - Feb 14, 2023
Ptole Thors
A
In response to Dana_Brown Spouts Off.
Yup, forced writing is instant death for me too. I can't even make something up just get out of the situation, and for one reason or another I always had a hard time skipping (ie. going forward to another chapter/scene.)
10:00 AM - Feb 15, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}