Deirdre Assenza
A
Saw this elsewhere and reposting. Urgent agree to all of this:

HOW TO SPOT A RIP CURRENT: IT'S WHERE THE WATER LOOKS EASIEST AND SAFEST, with no waves breaking or rolling. NEVER ENTER THE SEA HERE. If you get caught in it, DON'T FIGHT. You will be exhausted and drown. Instead, SWIM ACROSS IT.
03:15 PM - Jun 25, 2023
Marcie Chiarello
A
In response to Deirdre Assenza.
Important info to know
04:46 PM - Jun 25, 2023
John Noble
A
Yup...got caught in one when I was 12 years old. Took two life guards to pull me across.
04:19 PM - Jun 25, 2023
LJ M
A
Great points. As a former triathlete and surfer whose nick name was May Tag....it is counter intuitive, but yes let go and swim parallel w the shore.
03:31 PM - Jun 25, 2023
DawnElaine FirstWave
A
Almost lost one of my sister in one when we were in our teens (talking the 1970's). It was at Mission Beach in San Diego, Ca.
We ended up forming a rope line with others via interlocking hands 2 pulled her out. We were lucky. We also learned better rules for the beach since we lived in San Diego
03:25 PM - Jun 25, 2023
Deirdre Assenza
A
In response to DawnElaine FirstWave.
Yep, this is a super common thing all down the CA coast. I was born in LA and my dad taught me to swim by taking me way far out from the beach just to teach me about this, because they are so dangerous. And most people don't know where or when they'll appear, so I thought this was a great graphic.
03:28 PM - Jun 25, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}