Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 1/7
Writing according to canon for a show like Xena is a toughie, because it seems so chaotic. I’ve spent a lot of time compiling what I think makes up the show’s aesthetic canon, based on my watching the show, reading interviews, and researching the source materials.
1/7
01:25 AM - Jun 27, 2023
Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 2/7
A fair amount is guesswork on my part, but it was important to me that I have a grasp of things that couldn’t be figured out just from observing the show. Why did they repeat certain types of motifs throughout the series?
2/7
01:25 AM - Jun 27, 2023
Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 3/7
Why did they avoid using quite obvious stories from Classical Greek lit that would seem to fit the show like a glove? Such as the Trojan War? The depiction of Troy in #Xena & Herc are very non-intuitive, & seem totally unrelated. Why does the show look the way it does?
3/7
01:26 AM - Jun 27, 2023
Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 4/7
There’s no Greek architecture, for example. Every other kind, but instead of Greece, they depict a kind of gothic realm. Some say it’s a cost-cutting measure, but that doesn’t make sense. Greek buildings are highly modular. You can save a lot of money reusing those columns.
4/7
Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 5/7
Ridley Scott did, in Gladiator, when he created the sets for the imperial palace & the Roman Senate with just a few pillars & curtains, moved around. In fact, RenPic did save a lot of money, by shooting a lot of scenes in forests & parks.
5/7
Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 6/7
But they seem to have spent a lot of time creating an alternate Greece. So it was definitely an aesthetic choice to build things in such a distinctive & unique way. Others say they just didn’t know any better, but clearly, they did.
6/7
01:27 AM - Jun 27, 2023
Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 7/7
RenPic went on to make Spartacus, full of period detail. As I present this project, I’ll explain why I made the choices I did, based on what I believe to be the aesthetic logic of the show.
7/7
01:27 AM - Jun 27, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}