Lynn From_OK
A
Our history book in I forget which grade had one single paragraph about George Washington Carver. When that really struck me as wrong was just a few years ago when I saw a documentary about him on the History Channel. He was so important. White kids need to know about him too.
Maureen Dufresne @mdufresne
So many things I didn't learn in my 12 years in the public school system. Yes, we learned about Martin Luther King but that was about it. So many amazing black people with equally amazing contributions who I never heard of until recently.

https://tinybeans.com/black-history-figures/
08:17 AM - Feb 15, 2023
08:36 AM - Feb 15, 2023
Lis Carey
A
In response to Lynn From_OK.
I learned about him in school. He was held up as a model of what we could achieve, someone to emulate. Harriet Tubman, too. But that was in the 60s, in ethnically mixed classes whose grandparents had faced bigotry that still showed its face sometimes. Not sure it was in our history texts, really.
08:44 AM - Feb 15, 2023
Lynn From_OK
A
In response to Lis Carey.
I was in an all white school until 7th grade (1970/71)
08:48 AM - Feb 15, 2023
Lis Carey
A
We always had a few--and I do mean a few--black kids in school. Latinos & Cambodians arrived in big numbers in the 70s when my youngest sister was in high school. The mix when I was in school was mostly European ethnicities--what WASPs looked down on as "hyphenated Americans."
In response to Lynn From_OK.
10:30 AM - Feb 15, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}