Socio-gen
A
thread 1/2
WP: fucking up, repeatedly, is a given! It's what you do WHEN you fuck up that matters.

And the first thing to do when told you've fucked up is STOP. Stop talking. Listen. Apologize. Listen. Reflect. Listen. Make amends, where possible. Listen. And for fuck's sake, do not expect forgiveness.
Deirdre Assenza @deirdreassenza
OMG --apropos of nothing-- white people sometimes you're going to F*ck up! And when you do, don't make it 10x worse by doing the same thing 10x more times with 10x intensity! Just stop. Apologize. Listen respectfully. And make amends. Amends = change. Be different. This is a total non sequitur post.
07:31 PM - Jun 29, 2023
07:49 PM - Jun 29, 2023
Socio-gen
A
thread 2/2
As a white cishet, formerly Christian, middle-aged woman socially conditioned in rural PA, I can tell you, I've fucked up so many times. I've put my foot in it. I've caused serious offense.

I've gotten better at listening as time's gone by, so I fuck up less, but I know I'm going to fuck up again.
08:11 PM - Jun 29, 2023 (Edited)
Mr. Dunn
B
Mostly agree, except the part about forgiveness. Everyone is an A hole sometimes, better to welcome in those of us who are at least trying to be better.
In response to Socio-gen.
09:20 PM - Jun 29, 2023
Socio-gen
A
In response to Mr. Dunn.
I said don't expect forgiveness. If it is given, then that's wonderful. But the people you harmed are not obligated to offer it.
09:25 PM - Jun 29, 2023 (Edited)
Socio-gen
A
I wanted to expand on this.

Forgiveness is something to be earned, not something to which we're entitled. If we're demanding forgiveness (or just recognition of our improvement), then we're centering ourselves and not showing the growth necessary to have earned it.
09:38 PM - Jun 29, 2023
Mr. Dunn
B
Agreed, you are absolutely correct.
09:47 PM - Jun 29, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}