David 1914
A
That not all Americans who have moved away from the US consider themselves expats. Some of us are immigrants and don’t mind referring to ourselves as immigrants and don’t think of ourselves as better than thou.
King Lavender-licous @BMWillz
What's one misconception about your community/demographic that you'd like to clear up?

What's one thing, above all else, you would like others to walk away knowing.

Please respond by quoting. The information is too important to hide in the comments. I and others will echo.
01:56 PM - Jun 17, 2023
05:38 AM - Jun 29, 2023
Licia
A
In response to David 1914.
I've been away a total of 34 years with 28 of those consecutively. I've lived here in the wild frozen tundra longer than I have in my hometown. I've never really considered my label here. This is something to contemplate.
07:48 AM - Jun 29, 2023
David 1914
A
In response to Licia.
My question to ppl who consider themselves expats is why don’t you consider yourself an immigrant? I’m thinking it’s because they believe in the concept of “illegal immigrant” and want to distinguish themselves from that. I don’t believe people can be illegal so the term immigrant doesn’t bother me.
08:40 AM - Jun 29, 2023
Licia
A
I don't think of myself as an immigrant because they label me "gaikokujin." This doesn't really bother me as I'm living better than 70% of population. OTOH, I don't think of myself as a expat as I will always be a Native-African Alabamian to my core. I will consider this more.
In response to David 1914.
01:48 AM - Jun 30, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}