Amy Magnus
A
thread 1/5
When I went to Rochester Institute of Technology, I got challenged by my white male peers on whether I should be getting a degree in engineering.

Their message was clear. I didn't belong.

As a 4th generation engineer, I could laugh in their face but clearly they were no allies.

#AffirmativeAction
08:31 AM - Jun 30, 2023
Amy Magnus
A
thread 2/5
I found allies however. The Black + Deaf students faced challenges yet accepted me into their fold. They were brilliant and welcoming.

Importantly they didn't treat college as a competition to ruthlessly win but an opportunity to grow and learn with others openly curious about the world.
08:41 AM - Jun 30, 2023
Amy Magnus
A
thread 3/5
It is critical for student populations to represent us all.

I got so much out of my experience at RIT and that experience was directly and positively influenced by the minority and disabled communities that accepted me. nurtured me, and cheered me to acheivement.

It's critical we serve as allies.
08:47 AM - Jun 30, 2023 (Edited)
Amy Magnus
A
thread 4/5
Despite the bad eggs who diminished the experience...and oh, I could tell stories...my time at RIT was overwhelmingly positive.

The institute has been doing the work for decades making targeted accommodations for students...with wisdom and grace...making no apology for leveling the playing field.
09:02 AM - Jun 30, 2023
Amy Magnus
A
thread 5/5
Affirmative action is targeted accommodation. It deserves to stand.

I'm the better for it. The nation is the better for it.

No, it is the shamelessly corrupt conservatives on the supreme court who should stand down.

Honestly, it's an embarrassment to the nation to have them call fair play foul.
09:04 AM - Jun 30, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}