Cynthia Williams
A
thread 1/7
I am one of the millions of Black Americans who benefited directly from #AffirmativeAction programs in colleges and universities.

I am also one of the last Black children in NC integrated into an all-white school.

Here's how the programs helped me in my long life, #Spoutible :

1/
06:10 AM - Jun 30, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 2/7
I was a quiet child most of my life due to family dynamics that weren't healthy. When I was sent to an all-white grade school as part of my city's delayed integration effort I was scared witless. I'd never seen a white kid in class. This fear only added to my quietness. It wasn't good.

2/
06:14 AM - Jun 30, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 3/7
My scholastic aptitude blossomed while I went to my new integrated school. I finally had the books and teachers teaching me things I wasn't learning in my old school. I quickly became an A student. Things were humming along until it was time to go to middle school.

Then the problems started.

3/
06:16 AM - Jun 30, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 4/7
When it was time to go to middle school, I...a solid A student who happened to be Black and a female...was recommended to be placed in a remedial learning class.

For an "unknown" reason.

With most other Black kids in this formerly all-white middle school.

My parents freaked.

4/
06:19 AM - Jun 30, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 5/7
When my parents stormed the Principal's office to find out what was going wrong, they were told the following,

"Your daughter has social awkwardness and we thought it best to place her in the classes where most of our Black kids feel most comfortable & WITH THEIR OWN KIND".

5/
06:21 AM - Jun 30, 2023 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 6/7
My parents threatened to file a lawsuit against the school. The Principal relented. The school assigned it's 1st Black Counselor to be my school advisor. The Counselor was hired part of the school's AFFIRMATIVE ACTION PROGRAM requirements forced upon them by US law.

6/
06:25 AM - Jun 30, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 7/7
The Black Counselor's 1st step was to test me to determine my IQ. My score was 140. I was not a stupid child.

The Counselor then tested me to see where my skills were the greatest. I tested high in math and science.

In fact, I tested so high that she recommended I skip a grade.

7/
06:28 AM - Jun 30, 2023
Bev Turner
A
In response to Cynthia Williams.
Very compelling and needs to be heard. Yet, you persisted!
09:54 AM - Jun 30, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}