Michelle Blackwell
A
Maybe its just me but school was never my go to spot for books. My mom had so many books in the house it was like a library and speaking of the library, it was one of my favorite places to go as a child. Lets normalize making books and reading a part of our lives and not relying on schools completel
Word In Black @wordinblack
Founded by 10 leading Black publishers, Word In Black frames the narrative and fosters solutions for racial inequities in America. Check out some of our recent reporting on the importance of amplifying diverse books in schools:

https://wordinblack.com/2023/02/why-we-need-diverse-books-in-schools
04:25 PM - Feb 14, 2023
11:55 AM - Feb 15, 2023
Chance Woods
A
In response to Michelle Blackwell.
I was similarly fortunate to be born to parents who loved reading and our home had lots of books. But it's important to remember that for many, books are expensive and a luxury they may not be able to affordable. Schools should be a reliable source of books for students from all walks.
11:59 AM - Feb 15, 2023
Michelle Blackwell
A
In response to Chance Woods.
See my previous reply. I grew uo poor. The assumption that only wealthy or middle class peoppe have access to books is false
12:02 PM - Feb 15, 2023
Lynda
A
In response to Michelle Blackwell.
Yes, but you were lucky. Not every family can afford a lot of books. Not every family can take their kids to the library very often. Sometimes they're far away - some may lack accessible transportation.

I remember going to my school library for books, too.

Book access "everywhere" is important
11:57 AM - Feb 15, 2023
Lynda
A
In response to Lynda.
The issue/concern is that schools are REMOVING books because they talk about Black History - may mention LGBQT+, etc.
11:58 AM - Feb 15, 2023
Michelle Blackwell
A
In response to Lynda.
I get what youre saying but theres a library in every neighborhood in DC. Mine was four blocks from my house so my mother didnt have to take me. Also we grew up poor. Books you can buy second hand and nowadays they are practically giving thwm away at second hand stores so thats not gonna fly
12:01 PM - Feb 15, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}