Portia McGonagal
A
Like other Black women and true allies, I'd get aggressive pushback from white women when addressing the historical reality of racism within the Suffragist and Feminist movements. It's one reason I tend to speak out more about white women because we're supposed to share goals. 1/
01:47 PM - Jul 03, 2023
BOND 007
A
In response to Portia McGonagal.
I'm so sorry to hear that 💔
I am an ally and I am white 😉
09:19 AM - May 02, 2024
Anastasia Joy
A
How about the anti-Semitism of the Women's March organization, not say nothing of its Bernie-ism? A lot of groups get exclusionary and decide who's in and who's out, like they were in junior high.
06:48 PM - Apr 25, 2024
Frances Danger
A
This reminds me of the white woman response to abortions on Natives reservations in the wake of the overturn of Roe.

They expected us to put our sovereignty on the line when Brown and Black women have never had the same access to repro care and they never once fought for us. 1/2
07:14 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Salma Typhii
A
In response to Frances Danger.
09:50 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Portia McGonagal
A
In response to Frances Danger.
That was one of the most ridiculous but typically colonizer-oriented ideas in recent memory.
09:03 AM - Jul 04, 2023
My Flying Car 2020
A
Instances like these make me hesitant to join, participate in, or financially support organizations that I know are predominantly white. I've seen/heard too much to trust that racism and/or classism won't spoil my experience or positive cooperation.
04:31 PM - Jul 03, 2023
lorraine aylward
A
Glad I follow you. Until we white women examine and understand our role in upholding white supremacy... well sometimes I have really negative thoughts.
04:09 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Ang Darkstar
A
As Midwestern white lady, I totally agree: many of my demographic are a big part of the problem. I recently realized my own dear mother has race issues. While it makes me sad, I know many like me who are ready, willing and able to help EVERYONE. I'm focusing that way.
I love all of you.
02:41 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Portia McGonagal
A
In response to Ang Darkstar.
Thank you. You can talk to people in a way we can't...whether it's family, friends, neighbors. You're in their circle of trust and while you may end up outside of it, we're not in to begin with.
02:44 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Lola Oyediran
A
In response to Ang Darkstar.
Thank you, Ang; we, women, must stick together for the sake of the next generation and the planet! All women, regardless of race or ethnicity, have some shared experiences. Let's start with understanding each other and then present a united front against those that would love to divide us.
02:58 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Ang Darkstar
A
There are a plethora of issues that women need to acknowledge and deal with in America. For instance voting against one's best interests....
Thank you for sharing!
02:24 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Rosetta
A
1/3 White women as an entire demographic supports and promotes white supremacy within the patriarchy. They feel more empowered when standing in their whiteness. It doesn't matter to them if other women from marginalized communities are disenfranchised, refused access to appropriate medical care,
02:04 PM - Jul 03, 2023 (Edited)
Rosetta
A
In response to Rosetta.
2/3 denied appropriate housing and food assistance for their children, denied access to appropriate and historically accurate education, etc. unless it affects them directly. Then they want to join the fight while at the same time trying to silence us.
02:07 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Caryl D
A
In response to Rosetta.
So we have to get the vote out in marginalized communities.
Voter Registration available in the places women frequent.
Childcare by the voter groups
Transportation to polling places
Mail in and drop off early ballots
Polling places with extend hours in communities, at work sites, &college campuses
02:55 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Irminsul Harp
A
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
01:58 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Kymberlyn Reed
A
In response to Irminsul Harp.
So yeah, racism was and HAS BEEN a big problem with feminism. Even with the candidacy of Barack Obama, you had Geraldine Ferraro insisting he "wait his turn."

Y'all don't listen to Black women or endlessly tone police us when we call you out on problematic shit.

LIKE THIS.
02:20 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
In response to Irminsul Harp.
Wow. Way to negate the experience of Black women with the suffragette movement and center yourself. And you clearly are unwilling to listen and understand.
04:07 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Portia McGonagal
A
There has been an effort in recent years to address but it continues to fall short. Black and othe women of color continue to be treated as second-class citizens but expected not to voice our concerns. 2/
01:48 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Portia McGonagal
A
Black and women of color supported the first woman candidate for President in numbers far disproportionate to our number. White women were the inverse.

“This is how racism is allowed to flourish in progressive and feminist circles, driving out women of color.” 3/
01:50 PM - Jul 03, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}