Casey
A
So if you look at my profile you'll see my one pet, Dog the dog. We're hoping by later this week we'll be doubling that number with a reptile friend! So excited!
03:28 PM - Jul 03, 2023
YaDonkey
A
In response to Casey.
What kind of reptile are you guys going for?
03:35 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Casey
A
In response to YaDonkey.
Since it's all of our first reptile and the research I've done says it's a good beginner reptile, we're going to adopt a bearded dragon!
03:37 PM - Jul 03, 2023
YaDonkey
A
In response to Casey.
That's awesome! ... And seems like a lot less of a commitment than the standard iguana everybody has.
03:39 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Casey
A
In response to YaDonkey.
From what I understand, fully-grown iguanas need a full room's worth of space and can be mean. Dragons are considered docile and sociable and while fully-grown dragons do need a large tank, it's definitely not a room-sized tank.
03:48 PM - Jul 03, 2023
YaDonkey
A
In response to Casey.
I haven't seen a mean iguana yet, but they do get huge and love a really long time (over 20 years). I haven't seen many people with bearded dragons, but they definitely seem like a more realistic pet (IMO)
03:58 PM - Jul 03, 2023
Casey
A
Agreed! I haven't encountered any iguanas so I'm trusting internet consensus; by mean I mean they're known to bite and have a high psi to their bite so.... no. In captivity beardies can live up to 15 years but I was reading about some who have reached 20. We're in it for the long haul!
In response to YaDonkey.
04:02 PM - Jul 03, 2023
YaDonkey
A
In response to Casey.
Oh dang, I didn't know bearded dragons lived that long 😳 .. at least a smaller reptile is more versatile as life changes (which happens a lot in 20 years) ... Plus they don't leave anywhere near as big of droppings (which I assume would be a nightmare to clean)
04:10 PM - Jul 03, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}