suehalpernvt
A
In case you thought those supermarket loyalty cards were for your benefit (cash back! Specials! Cheaper gas!)
08:57 AM - Feb 16, 2023
Say What
A
In response to suehalpernvt.
The other side - this data helps companies understand purchasing, new trending products, consumer interest, new locations that might support stores.

It's a 2 way street, and not all an evil conspiracy.
12:06 PM - Feb 16, 2023
Lorrie
A
They say that when you’re getting something for ‘free’, it’s likely because *you* are the product being sold. Hate that this too often proves to be true.
09:41 AM - Feb 16, 2023
Helaine The Pain
A
I read that the Twitter API for getting all the data they collect have been free to others and now they will be charging. Data is prime $$$ for companies. It will hurt others as this article explains. https://www.nature.com/art...
09:28 AM - Feb 16, 2023
Nathan W
A
I have been advising people to pay cash for anything of “vice” nature (cigarettes, beer) and absolutely avoid using these loyalty cards. Been called a conspiracy theorist, however what stops a company from selling this data to insurance companies; premiums go higher knowing your shopping habits.
09:19 AM - Feb 16, 2023
Sneaky Burrito
A
I figure Amazon already knows everything about me anyway so I just go ahead and use my Prime Rewards Visa at Whole Foods. I am saving up credit card points for a floor loom (have $250, need about $3100, so it'll be a year or two...).
09:18 AM - Feb 16, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}