Trish
A
In response to Monica Fitzgerald.
Never learned this either. I recently made a quick stop there on a cross country trip with a friend who’d never seen it. Thank you for the history lesson.
08:25 PM - Aug 21, 2023
NorthCoast TerryMerryJoan
A
We have such a horrid history that we need to acknowledge, feel the sorrow we have layered upon this land. Only then can we enter a genuine process of atonement.
08:22 PM - Aug 21, 2023
JC_🇺🇸
A
The Untold History of Mount Rushmore: A KKK Sympathizer Built Monument on Sacred Lakota Land

https://www.youtube.com/wa...
The Untold History of Mount Rushmore: A KKK Sympathizer Built Monument on Sacred Lakota Land - YouTube

As tribal governments call on President Trump to cancel his Mount Rushmore Independence Day celebration, we look at why Native Americans have long pushed for...

07:11 PM - Aug 17, 2023
MJ Smith
A
Minus the KKK funding part. The sculptor had KKK ties, though.
https://espnsiouxfalls.com...
11:45 AM - Jul 04, 2023
Diane_Mancino
A
This disgusts me😡
11:39 AM - Jul 04, 2023
Emily Suess
A
I went on family vacation here as a kid. I had no idea what the sickening history was then. When I saw this picture for the first time as an adult, I was in awe.
11:34 AM - Jul 04, 2023
EveyJo Sils
A
That is rather sickening, I didn’t know any of this either, thanks for posting.
11:21 AM - Jul 04, 2023
William Turner
A
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
11:19 AM - Jul 04, 2023
ALIS ITLATOL
A
and the "founding" fathers are known for:
11:17 AM - Jul 04, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
Now it makes sense why trump believes his face belongs there. He'd fit right in in a monument to genocide partially funded by the KKK.

I didn't know that either. The horrors of Manifest Destiny will never be fully and truly understood, that history was whitewashed, literally. Unconscionable...
11:13 AM - Jul 04, 2023
Sandra MG
A
In response to Matt Egan he/him/his.
According to this National Geograghic article, the carvings on Stone Mountain in Georgia, were partially funded by the KKK and the same sculptor who began those was fired and subsequently carved Mt Rushmore. The rest is accurate though.
11:31 AM - Jul 04, 2023
The Eternal Atheist
A
Has the US EVER been a good country?
11:13 AM - Jul 04, 2023
J Leep
A
In response to The Eternal Atheist.
It depends on how one defines good, but no, IMHO the US has been, and continues to be, a consistent bad actor throughout it's history.
12:01 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Jodi B
A
This is horrible! 😡 I never knew about this. I know education is controlled by the states, but I think there should be federal rules about American history. No state should be allowed to alter it, whitewash it or simply erase it. I'll never look at Mt. Rushmore the same way again.
11:11 AM - Jul 04, 2023
Bella_Gee
A
How utterly malicious and disgusting.
10:56 AM - Jul 04, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}