Dr.XVI is the Wrong Crowd
A
The last person born into slavery died in 1972. Let that sink in on this "independence" day. Many of us knew people who were either slaves, or children or grandchildren of slaves. Maybe it can change your perception of the US you live in currently. History often isn't that long ago!
01:50 PM - Jul 04, 2023
SouthwestVA Guy
A
In response to Dr.XVI is the Wrong Crowd.
In my lifetime. That's what brings it home to me. I was in the 1st grade in 1972. My teacher that year was a black woman, which I am grateful for. Being exposed to POC in authority positions early was good for this white boy.
07:58 PM - Jul 06, 2023
Karkade
A
There's the fact that the state of Mississippi didn't abolish slavery until... wait for it... February 7, 2013!!! So we all most likely were alive during that time. Their excuse was that, and I kid you not, someone must've forgotten to update their state's paperwork after the Civil War. [Side Eye]
07:17 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Karkade
A
And if you want to really be technical, slavery has never been abolished in America. If you read our Amendments it says prisoners can be enslaved.
07:11 PM - Jul 05, 2023
A
In response to Karkade.
And now we are rolling back laws for child labor! And look at how we treat imigrant field workers. Nope...this nation still thrives on slave labor. And constantly fights for it.
10:37 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Karkade
A
Even after slavery officially ended, some areas in America still practiced it. There's a documentary on it, I believe. (Forgot the name.) I think the people in the doc were finally freed from slavery in the 1960s or something. (I'll have to look it up.)
07:10 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Char
A
I didn't know it persisted that long... my God. How horrible. That was only 10 years before I was born.

(Please bear with me, we didn't learn US history to that depth here)
07:26 PM - Jul 04, 2023
A
In response to Char.
I get it, and that's why I brought it up, especially today. I'm not that much older than you. But I do know this...it benefits a lot of people to not know this information, and that is why we need it.
07:33 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Deb
A
My family came here between 1897 and 1905. My grandparents generation. So much has been about that experience too.
02:54 PM - Jul 04, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}