Dr.XVI is the Wrong Crowd
A
The last person born into slavery died in 1972. Let that sink in on this "independence" day. Many of us knew people who were either slaves, or children or grandchildren of slaves. Maybe it can change your perception of the US you live in currently. History often isn't that long ago!
01:50 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Char
A
In response to Dr.XVI is the Wrong Crowd.
I didn't know it persisted that long... my God. How horrible. That was only 10 years before I was born.

(Please bear with me, we didn't learn US history to that depth here)
07:26 PM - Jul 04, 2023
A
I get it, and that's why I brought it up, especially today. I'm not that much older than you. But I do know this...it benefits a lot of people to not know this information, and that is why we need it.
In response to Char.
07:33 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Char
A
In response to Dr.XVI is the Wrong Crowd.
Completely agree. I'm in Canada and now I need to look up when it *actually* ended here because I'm sure it was long past the time it became illegal to enslave people.
07:34 PM - Jul 04, 2023
A
In response to Char.
I believe Mexico abolished slavery in 1821. Canada was a bit later? Don't totally know. But I know the US was the last in North America to abolish it, and it took a phkn war to do it. But we continue to keep it in other forms here, including through the "justice" system.
07:39 PM - Jul 04, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}