Djenne ☀️
A
Hey #Spoutible fam! Have any of y’all read Good Intentions by Kasim Ali? Just finished it a couple days ago and thought it was a refreshing take on the intersections of mental health, racism, and culture. It touched on the nuances of colorism and how easy it is to slip into complacency. Thoughts?
09:51 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Jay Marsden
A
In response to Djenne ☀️.
Got it! Will be a week or two to finish but I'm interested, from the perspective of an expat living and working in SE Asia, having been deeply moved by cultural differences
04:11 PM - Jul 06, 2023
Djenne ☀️
A
In response to Jay Marsden.
Wow! I’m curious to hear about your experiences in SE Asia. What is the most striking cultural difference you’ve noticed throughout your time there?
05:07 PM - Jul 06, 2023
Suzanne Tee Oh
A
This sounds really interesting! Adding to my To Read list now...
12:04 PM - Jul 05, 2023
Claudia D
A
I haven't yet! The description looks like a book I'd love! The reviews in Goodreads are all over the place- I guess it's a love-it-or-hate-it kinda book?
11:36 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Djenne ☀️
A
In response to Claudia D.
I think so! It’s a pretty easy read, and not earth-shattering by any means, but I thought it was a unique take bc I haven’t read many books with a South Asian male lead struggling with prioritizing his relationship vs cultural expectations. It was relatable for me as a mixed person. 😊
11:47 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Tony_Bell
A
I haven't read it, but I'm curious about where, exactly, those three things intersect.
11:32 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Djenne ☀️
A
In response to Tony_Bell.
I think it depends on the person, but from the mc’s perspective, he seemed to struggle with anxiety + having to live up to cultural expectations in a South Asian family. Then, he fell in love with a black woman + had to grapple with racism in his community + realizing his own internal bias.
11:42 AM - Jul 05, 2023
L_Saki
A
Added to my reading list. Thanks.
10:19 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Diana Raabe
A
Sounds intriguing!
10:18 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
Not yet, but thank you for the suggestion. Made a note of it. :D
10:17 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Lisa K. "Guardian of Radical Visions"
A
Sounds interesting. I will ad it to my TBR list.
10:07 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Drea
A
Another to add to the list - thank you!
10:06 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Kinzie Mat
A
Awww: I just ordered it from my ToRead list!
#ThriftBooks says it will be 7-10 days (then 2-3 to read), but I’d def love to see it as a Spoutee #BookClub book!!!
I think the next couple months are covered, but for sure interested for the fall!♥️
10:05 AM - Jul 05, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}