Talia T
A
thread 1/17
Well, now. It seems Spoutible has returned to a more-or-less normal state. I think this means we should start talking about the greatest cover songs known to man.

Well, this one, anyway.

It's time for the first installment of #SpoutibleCovers !
12:53 AM - Jul 06, 2023
Talia T
A
thread 2/17
Part of the joy of finding the best covers of old pop songs is winnowing through all the crazy versions people have put out there. And of these, by FAR the most of them can be found on YouTube. So tonight, I'm going to bring you some of the best hard rock covers that website has to offer. Ready?
12:55 AM - Jul 06, 2023
Talia T
A
thread 3/17
We begin - as we should - with ABBA. Their songs only sound simple - creating a quality cover is actually a serious test of musicianship. Take 'Mamma Mia', for instance. So easy to get wrong. So it's great when you find someone like this, who gets it exactly right. #SpoutibleCovers
Mamma Mia Abba Cover - YouTube

Abba Cover Version

12:57 AM - Jul 06, 2023 (Edited)
Talia T
A
thread 4/17
Or, consider 'Waterloo' - it's easy to dismiss as disco era pop sugar, but the music beneath isn't pop. It's a fantastic take on the boogie blues shuffle. I found this band - from Brazil, I think? - who, really understood the assignment on how to make the tune really rock. #SpoutibleCovers
Rock & ABBA - Waterloo - YouTube

Rock & ABBA interpreta la coneguda cançó d'ABBA Waterloo.Rock & ABBA interpreta la conocida canción de 'ABBA Waterloo.Rock & ABBA plays the known song Waterl...

01:01 AM - Jul 06, 2023
Talia T
A
thread 5/17
I try to avoid - with some exceptions - hard rock covers of songs that were already hard rock to begin with. But this take on Boston's Foreplay/Long Time, featuring Whitesnake alums Dino Jelusic and Joel Hoekstra, with former Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy, is just TOO good. #SpoutibleCovers
Foreplay/Long Time [All star jam] - YouTube

Personnel:Dino Jelusick - Vocals Mike Portnoy - DrumsHenrik Linder - Bass Lachy Doley - Hammond Joel Hoekstra - Guitar Justin Johnson - Guitar A big THANK YO...

01:05 AM - Jul 06, 2023
Talia T
A
thread 6/17
I'm a fan of German guitar guru Martin Miller - his channel is just loaded with brilliant stuff, including some medleys and covers of great tunes. This one, a product of the pandemic, nearly makes a whole new song out of U2's Pride (In the Name of Love). Really clever stuff here. #SpoutibleCovers
Pride (In the Name of Love) - U2 Cover - Martin Miller ft. Felix Lehrmann - YouTube

Online Guitar Courses - http://www.martinmillerguitar.com JTC Guitar - https://jtcguitar.com/store/artist/martin-miller/ U2's hit "Pride (In the Name of Love...

01:08 AM - Jul 06, 2023 (Edited)
Talia T
A
thread 7/17
Okay, that's enough out of me tonight. I'll aim to be back sometime tomorrow with more #SpoutibleCovers goodness; heaven knows there's a bunch more out there that I've loved over the years.

Got a favorite of your own? Reply with a link! I'd love to hear it!
01:10 AM - Jul 06, 2023
Talia T
A
thread 8/17
Some of you have gotten into the spirit of this, and I cannot thank you enough - keep the shares coming! My own entries will focus entirely on songs that (mostly!) were not rock songs until they got a truly transformative cover.

I love seeing all your favorites!
11:32 PM - Jul 07, 2023
Talia T
A
thread 9/17
Well now, it seems a damn good time to bring up some more of my favorite #SpoutingCovers .

Now, I maintain this collection on Spotify; most of my posts will be from there. But Spotify is a GREAT source of cover tracks of so, so many different kinds.
11:39 PM - Jul 07, 2023
Talia T
A
thread 10/17
More than a few of you might have encountered this one. It's one of two different Ra tracks on the list, and by far one of the best covers I've got. #SpoutingCovers

https://open.spotify.com/track/4BpNan8MzddCyF9JVjMvUQ?si=b93f29a6610c42ce
11:41 PM - Jul 07, 2023
Talia T
A
thread 11/17
Still in easy-mode here, but if you ask me, the single best cover song in the history of mankind is this one: Goldfinger's absolutely perfect punk cover of Nena's '99 Red Balloons' #SpoutingCovers

https://open.spotify.com/track/5IXeOf1hqORwp8b6c1Asqa?si=9b606e257dc449ca
11:43 PM - Jul 07, 2023
Talia T
A
thread 12/17
Here's another beauty, though this one is NOT a rock cover by any stretch. Joe Cocker's "Space Captain" is one of the most jammable songs ever, and here we have Herbie Hancock, Derek Trucks, and Susan Tedeschi doing it exactly right. #SpoutingCovers
11:44 PM - Jul 07, 2023
Talia T
A
thread 13/17
Not only did this one get radio play, it got a video on MTV. Little Caesar kind of bridged the gap between '80s hair-metal and grunge, and their cover o Aretha Franklin's 'Chain of Fools' is a longtime favorite. #SpoutingCovers
11:46 PM - Jul 07, 2023
Talia T
A
thread 14/17
This one is just wild. You kinda have to be Of A Certain Age to remember Eddy Grant's 'Electric Avenue', so when I found, of all things, a reggae-metal cover of it by Brit outfit Skindred, I was just thrilled. #SpoutingCovers

https://open.spotify.com/track/0VleLqqjspjgHQeyOCbg0m?si=079e560e8bfe4209
11:48 PM - Jul 07, 2023
Talia T
A
thread 15/17
This is *not* one of my favorites, but it's certainly one of the most unique. '90s Genesis was a bit weird, but "I Can't Dance" was weirder than most. So here it is, rendered as Finnish-style heavy metal by Sonata Arctica #SpoutingCovers
11:49 PM - Jul 07, 2023
Talia T
A
thread 16/17
Ok, last one for tonight. Duran Duran's "Hungry Like the Wolf" was one of the highlights of the '80s, and I really love this cover by Amaru - this is another Original 12 song in my list. #SpoutingCovers
11:52 PM - Jul 07, 2023
Talia T
A
thread 17/17
I gotta go make some dinner, but please do keep sharing your favorite #SpoutingCovers ! I'll post some more, hopefully tomorrow.
11:52 PM - Jul 07, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}