TravellingMD Häkkinen
A
I am just about to had enough of this constant humidity. Heat is one thing but humidity is really bothersome.

Although weeds in the garden seems to be happy as larks, growing 3 times faster, so there is that 🤦
06:30 AM - Jul 08, 2023
Absurd Dad
A
In response to TravellingMD Häkkinen.
Add fertilizer, the desirable plants will be very happy & the weeds pluckable
06:38 AM - Jul 08, 2023
TravellingMD Häkkinen
A
In response to Absurd Dad.
I usually plant as thickly as possible and call it a cottage garden. Using native plants and worked to enrich the soil late autumn and warmer winter days. This usually works for me, and makes it nearly maintenance free.
But this year weed to flower ratio is way off unfortunately 😔
06:55 AM - Jul 08, 2023
Absurd Dad
A
Understood. I was thinking in veg garden terms, which is what I just did days ago. But I also have straw mulch and relatively proactive in it.

Can't keep nearly anything as a flower or focal garden, deer eat everything, they'll even trudge into my small pond to devour plants there.
09:12 AM - Jul 08, 2023 (Edited)
TravellingMD Häkkinen
A
On the issue of deer, I can usually detter them with hot pepper and garlic spray I make, but bane of my existence is the blasted squirrels. They stripped a whole peach tree in a day near 50 peaches with only a bite taken on the ground, every bloody year.
If you have anything PLEASE share 😭
10:00 AM - Jul 08, 2023
Absurd Dad
A
Deer here say "muy caliente bueno" to homemade cayanne spray, but chipmunks & squirrels hate it.

Currently testing left over bitter apple anti chew spray from when the dog was a pup mixed w cinnamon.

Deer decimated my pear tree, stood with front legs up trunk to reach the branches & fruits.
11:37 AM - Jul 08, 2023
TravellingMD Häkkinen
A
Aha, we had American vs English issue what we call garden 😂😂
Where I grow vegetables (granted some of them with prettier flowers like okra, benas and eggplants I also plant with the flowers for biodiversity) is a patch or plot for me.
Nearly 24 years but some words still no go 😂
09:55 AM - Jul 08, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}