Brynn Tannehill
A
thread 1/6
I mapped out the functionality of Twitter and five of its competitors.
01:45 PM - Jul 08, 2023
Brynn Tannehill
A
thread 2/6
Addendum:

1. This is for an article I'm writing

2. I don't care if Mastodon can do something "in theory". If it fails every time I've tested it for 6 months, it fails. If it needs a host of special tools and browser extensions not to suck, it sucks.

3. Asterisks are addressed in the article.
08:29 PM - Jul 08, 2023
Brynn Tannehill
A
thread 3/6
4. I didn't forget Tribel. I don't think it's a viable alternative. It's more like Truth Social for the left.

5. I'm waiting on Spill to see if it gets tractions.

6.I'm not evaluating security: that's too far outside my area of expertise.

7. Definitions of each of these are in the article
08:31 PM - Jul 08, 2023
Brynn Tannehill
A
thread 4/6
8. Lists is being able to click on something that is basically a feed of people whose posts you want to see, usually arranged by area of interest (i.e. experts on the Ukraine War)

9. Yes, I know about the transparency issue
08:33 PM - Jul 08, 2023
Brynn Tannehill
A
thread 5/6
10. Yes, I know that Mastodon doesn't technically have a "for you". I looked at both the federated feed and channel feed and both were unusable for different reasons (explained in article)

11. In subjective areas, I can only provide my own experience. (e.g. For You, moderation,)
08:35 PM - Jul 08, 2023
Brynn Tannehill
A
thread 6/6
12. I will have to add that Spoutible isn't letting me respond to a lot of your replies: I click on Spout to send the message, and the text disappears without posting but the dialogue box remains.
08:43 PM - Jul 08, 2023
Whoa!
A
I think threads are Average in Mastodon, search is quite good, you just need to know what you're searching for, For You shout be N/A as that's by design. I have seen article thumbnails on Mastodon. And you can quote toot with other software. Mastodon is software for accessing the fediverse.
In response to Brynn Tannehill.
08:10 PM - Jul 08, 2023
Brynn Tannehill
A
In response to Whoa!.
Thumbnails never worked for me in Mastadon. And if you need a ton of other separate apps to make site that's 7 years old usable, it sucks. Search is not "good" if you already have to know the exact name of the person you're searching for.
08:24 PM - Jul 08, 2023
Whoa!
A
In response to Brynn Tannehill.
You don't need a ton of different apps. You only need 1 app to access the fediverse, but different apps have different features. Just like different softwares have different features and might be better at some things than others. I'm not trying to sell Mastodon to you, just correcting inaccuracies.
08:27 PM - Jul 08, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}