Matt
A
Came across an article on sending information to the past. Like a simple signal. Got me thinking how it would be pointless. Because if we received such a signal, we wouldn’t understand it until we caught up and become the people who sent it.
12:37 PM - Jul 09, 2023
Andy
A
In response to Matt.
I would send just two words back to myself in the early 2000's..."BUY GOOGL!"
07:53 PM - Jul 09, 2023
Matt
A
In response to Andy.
Even knowing what Google is, would you trust the message? Believe it? Follow through? I think we wouldn’t even get what was happening until we were past the point of it making a difference.
08:14 PM - Jul 09, 2023
Andy
A
I think the real mindfuckery comes in when you consider that sending a simple signal may be possible, but who in the past would be able to even receive it? The signal would have to be compatible with tech that exists in the past AND somebody would have to be actively looking for it. Bad odds.
In response to Matt.
09:57 PM - Jul 09, 2023
Matt
A
In response to Andy.
Exactly! It only works if we set out to send it back after we already set out to receive it. So imagine you set up a device to receive a message from yourself in the future and start building the other device to send it when suddenly the message comes through. Now…if you stop building what happens?
10:05 PM - Jul 09, 2023
Andy
A
In response to Matt.
In that scenario, If you stop building, you've already received the transmission so you'd either continue down that path (which is dumb) or send something completely different and encourage yourself to do the same; creating variant timelines that would all exist at the same...time?
10:25 PM - Jul 09, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}