Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
thread 1/9
Today's a rest day at the Tour de France, which is a great day to tell the story of Marshall "Major" Taylor.

A 7 time world record holder and one of the highest paid athletes in 1900, Major Taylor dominated sprint cycling for over twenty years, racing all over the US, Europe, and Australia.
02:05 PM - Jul 10, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
thread 2/9
At the peak of his career, he was the best of the best. But he was also the first of the first, the first US-born Black champion in any sport and a member of one of the first integrated sports teams ever — the Boston pursuit team on 1897.

http://www.majortaylorasso...
02:10 PM - Jul 10, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
thread 3/9
Major Taylor set 7 world records in different sprint categories, and set several of them in huge arenas in front of huge — and almost all white — crowds. While the crowds in the US could be dangerous, he was typically welcomed in Europe and Australia as a deserving champion
02:17 PM - Jul 10, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
thread 4/9
As a professional sport, cycling today takes a distant backseat to nearly every other olympic event. But cycling fans tend to appreciate the history of the sport, and if you search for "major Taylor cycling club," it is heart warming to see how many clubs all over the country pay tribute to MT.
02:20 PM - Jul 10, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
thread 5/9
There are presently over 1600 members on Strava riding as part of a Major Taylor cycling club!

https://www.strava.com/clu...
02:22 PM - Jul 10, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
thread 6/9
More US history lost to whitewashing: 1896: The 25th Infantry Fort Missoula Buffalo Soldiers were one of four regiments of Black soldiers enacted by Congress in 1866 and led by white officers. And members of the 25th were the first to try bicycles in the context of military operations.
02:40 PM - Jul 10, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
thread 7/9
How did Marshall Taylor's story get lost? Like so many successful young Black men of his day, the system wouldn't allow him to translate his talents to another field, and he died penniless at 53. That's a story that some want to bury, some want to forget, while others just cannot bring closure to.
02:50 PM - Jul 10, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
thread 8/9
11:55 PM - Jul 10, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
thread 9/9
First US-born Black world champion, first Black cycling champion from any country, and second Black world champion in any sport. (First Black world champ? That's Canadian boxer George Dixon.)

https://www.neh.gov/articl...
12:17 AM - Jul 11, 2023
Kristine G
A
In response to Bruno and Augie’s Dad.
This is an incredible story!! Thank you for sharing - I too have been a cyclist my whole life and TIL about Major Taylor. 🚴
07:42 AM - Jul 12, 2023
Existential Fashion Disaster
A
I probably wouldn't have known a thing about him if I hadn't lived in Worcester. I think they have a street, museum, and annual bicycle hill climb event in his honor, now.
02:48 PM - Jul 10, 2023
Diana Beach
A
I have watched the Tour de France my entire adult life. I’m almost 60 years old and I have never heard of this man. His story is heartbreaking!
02:13 PM - Jul 10, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
In response to Diana Beach.
I cannot imagine what it must have been like. A world champ who can't get a hotel near the race track? Who had to watch his back every second of every day?

This is the history that some folks want to wish away.
02:28 PM - Jul 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}