ChristyK
A
thread 1/7
Reading about the French Revolution and the different subgroups of Jacobins makes me smile. It makes me think about how later historians might attempt to keep straight tension or disagreement between AOC, Bernie Sanders supporters, and Biden supporters. Or between the various different Rep. groups.
05:30 PM - Jul 10, 2023
ChristyK
A
thread 2/7
In late 2020 and 2021 there were lots of memes about how big history books would be for this era, and I laughed because really, any era has complicated history one can wade through, but for the most part, people don't bother.
05:31 PM - Jul 10, 2023
ChristyK
A
thread 3/7
Apparently there was a point where Montagnard Jacobins were hesitant to endorse abolition because that would be recognizing that their opponents, the Girondin Jacobins, were right about something. People are still doing that sort of thing, aren't they? Prioritizing party or sub-group.
05:33 PM - Jul 10, 2023
ChristyK
A
thread 4/7
Thinking about people not wanting to support something because it might make their opponents look good reminds me of an NDP MPP who told a roomful of people that he wouldn't support Liberal efforts to do something good because that would be helping the Liberals disguise themselves as progressive.
05:35 PM - Jul 10, 2023
ChristyK
A
thread 5/7
I lost a lot of respect for that MPP - whom I had helped canvas for - when I heard him say that, because I realized he cares more about making the other guys look bad than he does about helping his constituents.
05:36 PM - Jul 10, 2023
ChristyK
A
thread 6/7
Anyway, any era of history is complicated. I love doing deep dives into different eras, trying to understand the different characters and their arguments and how they changed. One example is this series of posts I did about the radicals of the Rotunda Theatre.
05:38 PM - Jul 10, 2023
ChristyK
A
thread 7/7
Ooops.... link didn't come properly. Here it is: One example is this series of posts I did about the radicals of the Rotunda Theatre. https://www.facebook.com/H...
05:38 PM - Jul 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}