Dave Plus Coffee (he/him)
A
I have friends who joined but don't use it, I think the lack of algorithm is so different for them, they're not used to leaning in the way Spoutible requires.

When they comment on it to me, I always tell them a) follow more people, b) add the content they feel is missing 🌈✨🐳
I Smoked Threads @DKnight
Unlike Twitter, there's no algorithm to push content in front of you so you literally have to follow people to make this place work. If you're following less than 100 people and have less than 100 followers, echo this and comment here and follow each other back. We all need each other here.
10:24 AM - Jul 11, 2023
10:31 AM - Jul 11, 2023
Raja
A
In response to Dave Plus Coffee (he/him).
The thing I liked about Twitter when I joined 5 years ago was the content was pushed to me. From there I followed who I wanted and made my feed/algorithm work.
Here i try what you suggest and I just get spammed with stuff I don't want to see or non stop echoes of the same spout.
11:29 AM - Jul 11, 2023
A
In response to Raja.
I know some people get good results from searching by hashtag or keyword in the Explore tab.

I don't mind the repeated echoes, I just scroll past them or come back later for new stuff. I'm following a lot of people, which is good bc I see lots of different content, but also I've "lost touch" w/some
11:32 AM - Jul 11, 2023
Raja
A
The thing with echo spam is it doesn't foster dialogue like what you/I having now. To get engagement everything has to be an echo because nobody converses in posts.

On Twitter, I followed popular accounts but also people with insightful comments.
I ignored those who mainly retweet, ie echo.
01:27 PM - Jul 11, 2023
A
In response to Raja.
I don't doubt that this is what you're seeing, but I do have some decent back-and-forth here. I think it partly comes down to building those relationships .. if you try leaving comments on spouts that are interesting / fun for you, my hunch is before long you will start building a real network here.
01:30 PM - Jul 11, 2023
Raja
A
Yeah probably. I do leave comments instead of echoes. It's still a growing site but I think changes will need made to algorithm eventually.

I'm here for the longterm anyways. Twitter is my only other option and it's a dying cesspool. Will never create an account on a Zuckerberg owned site.
04:38 PM - Jul 11, 2023
Raja
A
In response to Raja.
For ex, I just looked at my own timeline and granted I'm only following 60 some people (this is low primarily due to no dialogue happening w/in spouts), but in the first 10-12 spouts, there are 7 replies and 127 echoes!! It's like this all the time.
The ratio is worse on the public timeline.
04:45 PM - Jul 11, 2023
A
In response to Raja.
Did you know you can turn off echoes in your timeline? There's a toggle at the top labeled "Hide Echoes" -- try that and see if it improves your timeline 🌈✨🐳
04:52 PM - Jul 11, 2023
Raja
A
Also I explained poorly but didn't mean 127 actual echoes in my feed. That would suck.
I meant in the first 10-12 spouts on my TL, the counter at the bottom of each showing replies/echoes/likes? I did the math and counted 7 replies (so no dialogue happening) and 127 echoes showing regurgitation.
05:14 PM - Jul 11, 2023
A
In response to Raja.
No worries, bear in mind that much of the dialogue here happens via quote spouting .. I'm not sure of the percentage of quote spouts vs. replies, but it's fairly common to "reply" here by quote spouting (thus boosting visibility for the person whose post you're sharing, adding your reply along w/it)
05:19 PM - Jul 11, 2023
Raja
A
Yeah. Imagine you and I having this convo strictly by quote spout or echo. It shows up on the public feed right? Imagine this site getting 20% as big as Twitter and every dialogue happening via quote spout for visibility. What would the public timeline look like?
Maybe I'm doing this all wrong here.
05:27 PM - Jul 11, 2023
A
In response to Raja.
Well it definitely doesn't suit all tastes, but I think it does have a lot going for it. I do have some good interactions here, on the daily, but I don't know everyone. I see a lot of repeats, but I see a lot of stuff I like, and I'm here a LOT (ask anyone). Individual experience may vary ¯_(ツ)_/¯
05:33 PM - Jul 11, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}