Sabine
A
You can watch Iceland´s newest volcano in the evening light at the moment. It´s breathtaking. And as it happens in an uninhabited stretch of land, it doesn´t do any damage ATM. Icelanders flock to the site by the hundreds.
06:16 PM - Jul 11, 2023
Higgins_tj
A
In response to Sabine.
Pulled this up again, this morning. Seems to be a little more settled down, and a lot smokier.
12:29 PM - Jul 12, 2023
Sabine
A
In response to Higgins_tj.
yup, activity has been decreasing. Listening to the experts I hear some disappointment that the eruption fizzles out so early, while the intrusion of lava in the dyke was more than substantial. Now word is that there might be further fissures in the near future.
01:01 PM - Jul 12, 2023
Miss Ann
A
In response to Sabine.
I can't stop watching this live cam. It is fascinating and beautiful; I thank you for posting.

On the other hand, scrolling through the various accessible cams, I found view of a whole sea of glaciers melting. That one left me sad and scared. What will it look like in a month or a year?
11:00 PM - Jul 11, 2023
Sabine
A
In response to Miss Ann.
The lagoon you mention is called Jokulsarlon and is a famous tourist attraction. Yes, the glacier is receding, but still calving icebergs into the lagoon. In some tens of years this will no longer be the case, because then the glacier will no longer reach the lagoon.
08:11 AM - Jul 12, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}