Kymberlyn Reed
A
thread 1/5
#mouthypolitics101

Speaking of white progressives...

Understand that Black people live in reality. A reality that cannot play games with politics or threaten to sit out if our unicorn wish list isn't met.

We have to vote HARM REDUCTION before anything else. That's not something to turn your nose
12:09 PM - Jul 12, 2023
Kymberlyn Reed
A
thread 2/5
at, but how Black people have kept pushing and moving society FORWARD ever since our ancestors and ancestresses were brought to these shores in chains.

Black folks ARE the 100% old school progressives in the truest sense possible. The things we want, everyone wants. We just know how such things are
12:13 PM - Jul 12, 2023
Kymberlyn Reed
A
thread 3/5
viewed through the lens of race.

Medicare for ALL is great, but it doesn't address nor REDRESS systemic medical bias, and getting white progressives to admit that the Black maternal mortality rate is a crisis is like pulling teeth. Same for free college. How does that even work when our K-12
12:16 PM - Jul 12, 2023
Kymberlyn Reed
A
thread 4/5
is rife with institutional bias. I mean Black kids are being suspended just for wearing the very hair that grows out of their own heads. A quality education is sadly dependent on zip code as well as color - but the two are entwined.

Same with affordable housing and a living wage. Black people have
12:19 PM - Jul 12, 2023
Kymberlyn Reed
A
thread 5/5
always seen the bigger picture because we've HAD to.

So instead of white progressives talking over us, or acting as if we need them to "save us" (like they're actually even capable of doing that) maybe let Black folks lead and they can listen and support.

Fin.
12:22 PM - Jul 12, 2023
Roland Pugh
B
In response to Kymberlyn Reed.
Whats worse, is we have to not only address those whose allyship is conditional/transactional, but also friends and fam who bought into that "both parties..." bs
06:41 PM - Jul 12, 2023
Martini C
A
In response to Kymberlyn Reed.
I think of this when people say they have no intention of voting and/or both political parties are the same.
I think of the luxury they have to ignore the possibility of harm reduction.
12:31 PM - Jul 12, 2023
Kymberlyn Reed
A
In response to Martini C.
The "both parties are the same" bs just makes me want to slap some people. I mean how does anyone fix their faces to even think that when it has always been clear the Republicans have NEVER had the best interests of the public in mind? It's like remember "trickle down economics?"
01:51 PM - Jul 12, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}