Only followers of this user (April_Sparkles) can see their posts

Existential Fashion Disaster
A
In response to April Sparkles.
I learn best / absorb best through auditory means. I've caught myself needing reread pages, but not audio.

Plus, a reader, or the author themselves as a reader, can really add something. OR there's a whole cast of amazing people involved ( @neilhimself is 'guilty' of this production value).
01:30 AM - Jul 17, 2023
Annie Tripp
A
My middle son did miserably in school because he was an audio learner and not a visual learner. In his 20s he now participates in a book club because he can listen to an audio book.
06:01 PM - Jul 16, 2023 (Edited)

Carla Reid + Chilla
A
I prefer to enjoy the written word either on a tablet or a physical book, but I would never say that listening or using Brail to experience the written word is not reading. You are absorbing, using imagination the same as I am. All I ever hope is that everyone is finding a way to enjoy words.
03:14 PM - Jul 16, 2023

Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
I love a good audiobook when I'm traveling. I love getting into a good story while driving through looooong stretches of nothingness (like Nebraska - sorry Nebraskans, no offense, your state does have some great spots, but I-80 is a bit . . . monotonous).
02:18 PM - Jul 16, 2023

K Ray
A
A friend with severe Dyslexia was unable to read the written word. When he attended Vanderbilt, he hired other students to read all the textbook assignments to him. He did well, graduated, became CEO of a major company, and dictated business letters, docs to his Admin Asst.
12:28 PM - Jul 16, 2023

Bruno+Auggie’s Dad
A
Every time I have an opinion, before posting it to social, I ask, am I being a gatekeeper? If so, I hit that X button in the upper right hand corner.
12:00 PM - Jul 16, 2023
Used ToBeGop
B
When I lost my sight during covid, audiobooks saved my sanity. Literally, figuratively, in every way it saved me.
11:57 AM - Jul 16, 2023
Jeneva Diva
A
In response to Used ToBeGop.
Exactly. People who don't see well. People who don't process written words well cognitively. People with tremor, arthritis, neck pain, other upper body mobility impacts. People who drive.

We should let people enjoy authors' stories however it works for them/us, says me, right along with you.
12:05 PM - Jul 16, 2023
Phil Loomis
A
My sister is a huge fan of audiobooks. My own preference is paper or an ebook. My brain can't stay focused on audiobooks because input from my other senses overwhelms my ability to keep the plot. Reading styles, like learning styles, are varied, so find what works for you.
11:53 AM - Jul 16, 2023

hal
A
If someone thinks audiobooks are inferior to reading it doesn't say much for their attitude towards people with impairments that make reading difficult or impossible.
11:46 AM - Jul 16, 2023
kyrssy #2024 #YearOfConvictions
A
And some people just aren't able to read very good, for example, someone with dyslexia. Audio books provide them with enjoyment instead of frustration.
11:46 AM - Jul 16, 2023
No
A
Boom! Facts.
11:45 AM - Jul 16, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}