Rebecca Klempner
A
Every writer who has every gotten feedback wonders how to tell whether they should follow up on any particular piece of feedback. This article has some advice that I thought was pretty good. https://janefriedman.com/how-to-figure-out-which-writing-advice-fits-you-best/
04:22 PM - Jul 16, 2023
Rebecca Klempner
A
In response to Rebecca Klempner.
I have a couple additional thoughts:
1) Especially if you are in person, access what the goal of the advice was. Was their feedback given in the spirit of helping you produce the best piece of writing in *your* voice? Some writers struggle to help others sound like themselves.
04:25 PM - Jul 16, 2023
Rebecca Klempner
A
2) Some writers will give advice without understanding your genre or audience. For example, a writer who writes exclusively for adults may not provide good advice to authors of kid lit, a person who writes literary fic might provide bad advice to genre writers. Feel free to ignore them.
04:27 PM - Jul 16, 2023
Rebecca Klempner
A
3) Some writers offer advice to colleagues not with their colleagues' best interests at heart. They may fail to see what's working because they are so preoccupied in shooting "competitors" down. They view publishing opportunities as a limited good & don't come with open hearts...sadly.
04:29 PM - Jul 16, 2023
Rebecca Klempner
A
I have to say, assuming you've read a book with advice for the right genre of writing, right audience, or you've approached a kindhearted colleague, it's worth contemplating even far-fetched advice & even testing things out which give you the willies. If it doesn't work, just junk it!
04:30 PM - Jul 16, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}