Halo-Halo w/ All the Sighs
A
thread 1/20
*Halo-Halo who?*

Halo-Halo literally means mixed or mix-mix in Tagalog and is a very yummy, refreshing, colorful Filipino dessert. Describes me well as a gal of mixed heritages,
professional statuses, and interests. Spouts/echoes are my own, not of my University employer.
11:30 AM - Jul 19, 2023
A
thread 2/20
While I am Asian, a thing to keep in mind about me and how I interact in this space.
11:42 AM - Jul 19, 2023
A
thread 3/20
About Editorial Discretion in spouts/shares here:

While there's a lot of geekery, FIlipiniana, photography, food, history, and silliness, my posts and shares here encompass multiple challenging topics. Many of those spouts stem from personal experience...or at least solidarity and shared struggle.
11:44 AM - Jul 19, 2023
A
thread 4/20
I am not here to debate what I and other BBIMPs have experienced. Anyone *NAWPing (or any form of "Not all" ing for that matter) will be blocked.

Though I am generally patient and empathetic, neither of these traits is infinite.

*Not All White People

Here's what some of y'all act like, BTW.
11:52 AM - Jul 19, 2023
A
thread 5/20
While I will help as I can, I am not THE help. I am not an on-call educator-librarian either. I will do this as I have the time and bandwidth to do so.
11:55 AM - Jul 19, 2023
A
thread 6/20
I do not prioritize White discomfort over harm reduction toward the communities this platform centers. Letting me know where I goof is one thing (e.g. Doing something out of my lane). I am not responsible for feelings about what information I present.
11:58 AM - Jul 19, 2023 (Edited)
A
thread 7/20
You will receive pushback on assertions that harm BBIMPs and marginalized cohorts from me and others in this community. This type of pushback is not an attack even if blunt; it is often in the spirit of education and challenging accomplices-to-be to do better.
12:01 PM - Jul 19, 2023
A
thread 8/20
I am generally like Ateh* Lea Salonga here: "I’m not the type to cuss people out, but I will protect my territory and my boundaries. If I lose fans as a result, so be it."

*Elder sister -- often used toward a woman of an age your senior whom you respect.

I do cuss, tho. In multiple languages. ;)
12:02 PM - Jul 19, 2023
A
thread 9/20
On “kindness” - (1)

"...Often, when people ask for ‘kindness’ in racist scenarios, they may actually mean ‘politeness’—which is not the same thing."
12:09 PM - Jul 19, 2023
A
thread 10/20
(2) "...subversion is not polite and disruption is not nice"

I am not here to "play nice", I am here to be in community and to do good.
12:14 PM - Jul 19, 2023
A
thread 11/20
On the intersections of some of my cohorts of marginalization; this holds true for other cohorts

Just because your of one, you are not absolved of your behavior toward another cohort, especially where you hold privilege and they don't.

https://spoutible.com/thre...
12:18 PM - Jul 19, 2023
A
thread 12/20
On DMs:
Do not send me unsolicited DMs unless I know you in person (That's fewer than 5 Spoutans so far) or I interact with you fairly regularly/we:be developed a good relationship.

When in doubt, ask first.
I do reserve the right to say no.
08:41 PM - Jul 24, 2023
A
thread 13/20
On follows/follow-backs.

I do not accept follow or follow back indiscriminately, and I do not guarantee either. I was cloned back in Spring 2023 and I've had two Spoutans now take advantage of my empathetic nature.

I will revoke access if necessary for me to do so.
08:42 PM - Jul 24, 2023 (Edited)
A
thread 14/20
On the usage of BBIMP: "a term coined by Louiza "Weeze" Doran" to use instead of BIPOC.

More: https://instagram.com/acco...

Posted withregram accordingtoweeze
08:53 PM - Jul 24, 2023
A
thread 15/20
A discussion with Nancy ( @wiamorgan ) inspired me to add this to the thread.

Twisting the definitions of respect like this is absolutely wrong, yet commonly used to subjugate BBIMP and other marginalized cohorts.

Don't make me tap this sign.
08:58 PM - Jul 24, 2023
A
thread 16/20
Do not mistake this cinnamon roll for a turnover. My spice *will* sneak up on you, and any resulting discomfort will be assumed at your own risk.

Again, my patience is not infinite, and I will block, report, and post screenshots as necessary to enforce and maintain healthy boundaries.
04:33 AM - Jul 25, 2023 (Edited)
A
thread 17/20
I am a practitioner of the #HaloHaloThread (aka: reverse #Elsenthread ) since I often think of things after I initially post. Conventional threads are good for this too, and you'll see them from me, too. Echos can be toggled off, tho, and Spouty often noms parts of conventional threads for lunch. 🐳
03:22 PM - Jul 25, 2023 (Edited)
A
thread 18/20
Individual posts from these type of threads can stand alone, but for extra context, read the quoted spout, then go upward. Click on the quoted and repeat. (Laura suggested the #HaloHaloThread nomenclature, and it's apt.)
03:26 PM - Jul 25, 2023
A
thread 19/20
Spoutible is a Black-Owned platform designed to center BBIMPs and marginalized cohorts

Fact. Not opinion.

This community supports and sustains me. I'll do my best to preserve this ethic personally and in the community.

Swim these currents accordingly

Gif: Animated swimmer, Freestyle stroke
03:28 PM - Jul 25, 2023 (Edited)
A
thread 20/20
I will add on to this thread as necessary, so watch these seas... (Whale Watching? ;) )

Whalecome!

GIF: GIF: A humpback whale breaching. (Diving backward into the ocean).
03:32 PM - Jul 25, 2023 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}